Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I am currently designing my first Reef tank (yay) I figured why not go big so I am roughly planning to go with a 96 x 30 x (maybe 30 in height) Display tank, With a 72 x 24 x 24 sump. I know that I want a large refugium at around 3 ft powered with 2 H380 Kessil lights (I'm not sure if I can get away with 1, but that would be even better!). I have attached a pdf that is to scale that I have drafted up of my initial sump design. I have never had a sump or designed one so it is probably as simple as it can be. I would just like general thoughts on if this design would be efficient. And if there are any other ways I can tweak this design to obtain better results. Thanks for any advice!
6x2 ft Sump Design.png

AquaCave Logo Banner

tdileo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will work. You will probably want a small powerhead in the refugium so that you have a decent amount of movement. Something simple like a Hydor Koralia Nano would probably be great. I'd reccomend getting a few hermits and snails for the refugium to help clean up dead plant matter etc. What do you want in the fuge? Mostly chaeto and maybe mangroves?

OP
OP
Jaz M.

Jaz M.

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I didn't think about added a powerhead. That's a good idea. Honestly I don't know anything about mangroves I was only planning on chaeto. Is there any additional benefit?

tdileo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. I just think they look pretty cool. Carewise all you have to do is spray down the leaves like twice a day so the salt doesn't build up, but if you were looking for a set and forget macroalgaes are the way to go

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NY
Back