+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

Some time ago I posted that I was cycling my sump for a while, while I build up the funds for the DT. Well after a small investment in a DC pump, the cycle has begun.

Question is, with the ridiculous price of power in the uk at the moment, is there any specific need to heat the sump.

there are a couple of points that need to be made clear. There are no inverts, snails fish or anything else in the sump (bac only)

also in the uk , on the whole the bac start we can buy from LFS seems to be a cover all that includes tropical, marine and cold water. (Obviously I can buy specific stuff online)

thoughts???

Nutramar Foods

TheBear78

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria production does have an optimum temperature in the mid to high 20's and anything below 20 will likely inhibit growth to the point that you wouldn't achieve much. How you add bacteria is up to you but given what sounds like a long term plan you could forgo buying it and do it old school with a decaying shrimp.
Assuming that the sump is indoors (in a heated room) and potentially covered you may get away with just the heat given off from the pump. If not then it would be a minimal cost to kept that smaller volume warm enough.

OP
OP
S

sesbalders

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi bear

that was my thought,

I have gone with koi pond bio media so the system is squeaky clean at the moment.

it’s actually a tank upgrade so I’ve placed some media in my current tank for a bit to pick up a bio load. Not sure how successful that’s going to be mind you.

cool, I have to re seal a plumbing joint this evening, so I might bang a heater in there!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
S

sesbalders

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes if you are worried about the price of electricity now you are in for a big surprise when it's all up and running.
Not really, I’ve worked out the wattage of everything so I know with 90-95% accuracy what it’s going to cost.

but why spend money if you don’t have to?

OP
OP
S

sesbalders

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow on, on this one, tested today as I had an immense bacterial bloom for the first two days. Water was like milk.
PH8
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 20ppm

weird result! Could have been a dodgy test but still odd

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Your Reef
Back