Sump Building Advice

hube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Trying to add a sump after upgrading from a 30 gallon tank to a 75 gallon. I’m using the linked sump kit for a 20 gallon and I’m planning on making a compartment for the filter socks, refugium, bubble trap, and outflow. My question is, at the beginning I was planning to buy a protein skimmer as well, but if I have a refugium is it worth buying a skimmer? And if I do need to add one, could I add one in the same compartment as the filter socks and just make the compartment bigger? Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Kit I will be using…

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 gal long, it can be tight, I have a fleece roller and a skimmer in same compartment. My fuge could have been smaller but That's how I set up the baffles . No algae in fuge yet just rock frags. tanks still only been going since July, but its time to add it.

20240923_145138.jpg
20240923_145145.jpg

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would skim in same chamber as above. Withought a lot of space your limited on options but it will dk its job. Maybe skip fuge and do an algea turf scrubber. Can add thoose in decently well and will do same thing as a fuge.

OP
OP
H

hube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 gal long, it can be tight, I have a fleece roller and a skimmer in same compartment. My fuge could have been smaller but That's how I set up the baffles . No algae in fuge yet just rock frags. tanks still only been going since July, but its time to add it.

20240923_145138.jpg
20240923_145145.jpg
Awesome, I’ll probably go for the setup then, thanks! Also, I’m drilling 2-3/4 holes in my main tank for the overflow, but I’m kind of confused as to what hole size my return should be? My return pump nozzle is 1 inch, and I was thinking about drilling a 1 inch hole for the return, but my overflow hole will be around 2-3/4 inches, so which should I do? I’m using an Eclipse overflow from EShopps.

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, I’ll probably go for the setup then, thanks! Also, I’m drilling 2-3/4 holes in my main tank for the overflow, but I’m kind of confused as to what hole size my return should be? My return pump nozzle is 1 inch, and I was thinking about drilling a 1 inch hole for the return, but my overflow hole will be around 2-3/4 inches, so which should I do? I’m using an Eclipse overflow from EShopps.
The over flow from Eshopps will come with the diamond hole saw. Get your return bulkhead before drilling, True schedule 80 bulkheads and ABS plastic bulkheads require different hole sizes

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back