Sump Build Question

hube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Trying to add a sump after upgrading from a 30 gallon tank to a 75 gallon. I’m using the linked sump kit for a 20 gallon and I’m planning on making a compartment for the filter socks, refugium, bubble trap, and outflow. My question is, at the beginning I was planning to buy a protein skimmer as well, but if I have a refugium is it worth buying a skimmer? And if I do need to add one, could I add one in the same compartment as the filter socks and just make the compartment bigger? Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Kit being used…

Reefer Brent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I know it all depends on your stocking plan. I would take your plan and double it for leeway then just leave room for a skimmer as you will likely want one in the future. Maybe even go with a 40b for a sump if it's not too late.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you're gonna have differing answers on the skimmer question based on the person. Both are good methods by which to realize nutrient export. But to fit all of that in a 20g (presumed long), is going to be really cramped. I had a 20g long sump and had enough room to divide it into two chambers. I had the outflow going through a sock into chamber 1 where the skimmer and powerhead was. Then a partition separating the return chamber and that was it. And there still wasn't a lot of room. The 40b would give you another six inches or so if memory serves.

Also, take into consideration on how to get the sump out of there if need be. My last tank had the sump basically locked in down there. If it had sprung a leak, I would have been in trouble. As it was, my DT DID start to leak and I had to do a tank swap quickly. That sucked. Knowing what that entails, my next tank will have a sump I can remove easily if it goes bad. Cause I ain't gonna break down and reinstall another tank again if I can help it. Food for thought......

OP
OP
H

hube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I know it all depends on your stocking plan. I would take your plan and double it for leeway then just leave room for a skimmer as you will likely want one in the future. Maybe even go with a 40b for a sump if it's not too late.
It may be a little too late sadly, I bought the kit and the tank a bit ago on sale but only have time to set it up after some life events. Is it feasible to do it without leeway? Or would you suggest I start from scratch then?

OP
OP
H

hube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you're gonna have differing answers on the skimmer question based on the person. Both are good methods by which to realize nutrient export. But to fit all of that in a 20g (presumed long), is going to be really cramped. I had a 20g long sump and had enough room to divide it into two chambers. I had the outflow going through a sock into chamber 1 where the skimmer and powerhead was. Then a partition separating the return chamber and that was it. And there still wasn't a lot of room. The 40b would give you another six inches or so if memory serves.

Also, take into consideration on how to get the sump out of there if need be. My last tank had the sump basically locked in down there. If it had sprung a leak, I would have been in trouble. As it was, my DT DID start to leak and I had to do a tank swap quickly. That sucked. Knowing what that entails, my next tank will have a sump I can remove easily if it goes bad. Cause I ain't gonna break down and reinstall another tank again if I can help it. Food for thought......
Food for thought indeed, issue is with me I bought this stuff a fair bit ago before some life events without even planning on getting a refugium but now I see the benefits, would it still be feasible to stick the skimmer where the inflow is and just have the refugium in a separate compartment?

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food for thought indeed, issue is with me I bought this stuff a fair bit ago before some life events without even planning on getting a refugium but now I see the benefits, would it still be feasible to stick the skimmer where the inflow is and just have the refugium in a separate compartment?
If you mean the return compartment, I wouldn't. I envision the chaeto getting caught up in the return pump. You could probably send the kit back if you were so interested. And store the 20g tank. Sometime down the road you're gonna need it for something. My last go around, I had an extra 20g and two 10s. Ended up using them all in the Great Leak Fiasco of 2009 (It sucked so bad I've considered starting a Wikepedia page dedicated to it!).

OP
OP
H

hube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mean the return compartment, I wouldn't. I envision the chaeto getting caught up in the return pump. You could probably send the kit back if you were so interested. And store the 20g tank. Sometime down the road you're gonna need it for something. My last go around, I had an extra 20g and two 10s. Ended up using them all in the Great Leak Fiasco of 2009 (It sucked so bad I've considered starting a Wikepedia page dedicated to it!).
Sorry, didn’t mean return compartment, instead I meant where the the filter sock is coming in, would it be possible to do: filter sock -> protein skimmer in one compartment then refugium with chaeto in a separate compartment then the return compartment? Or even sticking a sponge between the skimmer and filter sock? Even with a bigger tank I’d want to see if I can still manage using the same kits from the same company. Ah the Great Leak Fiasco, I remember studying that in my history textbooks, a tragedy truly, I would be interested to see a Wikipedia page haha, sounds terrifying.

SaltyWalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a similar kit to make a 20 long sump when I first started up. I made the first chamber a little bit smaller so I had room to run the second chamber as a refugium then ran a skimmer in the chamber with the return pump. I never really had issue with fluctuating water levels and the skimmer. I would just 100% have good reliable auto top off.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a similar kit to make a 20 long sump when I first started up. I made the first chamber a little bit smaller so I had room to run the second chamber as a refugium then ran a skimmer in the chamber with the return pump. I never really had issue with fluctuating water levels and the skimmer. I would just 100% have good reliable auto top off.
Yeah, it's possible. Just gonna be a thin compartment. You'll have more room if you have a space saver skimmer.

OP
OP
H

hube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet, I’ll definitely look into it, thanks!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back