Suggestions on QT for my new Tangs? Should I dose Copper?

Andrew Schubert

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Powder Blue and a Purple Tang in QT. They've been in there for 1 1/2 so far and have been dosing it with Prazi Pro. So far there has been so sign of Ich on either of them. I was going to QT them for a month. However, I was wondering your suggestions. Should I dose Copper even though they haven't shown any signs of it. If they had Ich, I'm sure it would show up within this month? So is there any benefit in dosing Copper if they NEVER show any sign of it. Copper does help 'prevent' Ich when it isn't present does it? It's only beneficial if the fish already has Ich? Thoughts?

AquaCave Logo Banner

CC13

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Powder Blue and a Purple Tang in QT. They've been in there for 1 1/2 so far and have been dosing it with Prazi Pro. So far there has been so sign of Ich on either of them. I was going to QT them for a month. However, I was wondering your suggestions. Should I dose Copper even though they haven't shown any signs of it. If they had Ich, I'm sure it would show up within this month? So is there any benefit in dosing Copper if they NEVER show any sign of it. Copper does help 'prevent' Ich when it isn't present does it? It's only beneficial if the fish already has Ich? Thoughts?

I always treat my fish in QT like they are infected at least with ICH because so many of them come from the store or wholesalers with it. I personally don't use copper it prefer to use hypo salinity but both accomplish the same thing. If your treating with copper, stick to your treatment for the full 70 days and then add them to your main system.

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply. I've never heard of Hypo salinity until now. What do you set your salinity to when you do this. Does the QT have to be 70 days. I was only planning on doing 30 days? Also, guess I'll be starting over with my Powder Blue Tang. Not sure what happened, but he went from fine to dead this morning. Still had 3 days left on my money back guarantee thank goodness. Now just to get another one and hope all goes better this time with him.

BRS
OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you set your salinity to when you do this. I've never heard of hypo salinity until now :). But I'll be starting over the QT process on my tang as he passed away last night. Not sure what happened. He went from fine at 5 PM, to floating upside down last night and then dead this morning :-(. At least he was still in the money back guarantee phase. So a new Power Blue Tang on its way and a new start to the QT process. URRR. Do you have to QT for 70 days? Not sure I've heard of doing it that long. I was planning on going 30 days?

CC13

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply. I've never heard of Hypo salinity until now. What do you set your salinity to when you do this. Does the QT have to be 70 days. I was only planning on doing 30 days? Also, guess I'll be starting over with my Powder Blue Tang. Not sure what happened, but he went from fine to dead this morning. Still had 3 days left on my money back guarantee thank goodness. Now just to get another one and hope all goes better this time with him.

I just don't feel confident dosing copper. I find it very difficult to test and maintain over time so I do not use it. Copper is poison for fish as well as any diseases/parasites but it kills the parasites/diseases quicker than the fish.

Hyposalinity is when you set your salinity to 1.008 - 1.010 and let the fish run the 70 days like this. The salinity is low so any ICH that the fish have on their skin or in their gills will die as they complete their life cycles. To speed or encourage the ICH to cycle faster you can raise the temperature to 83-84 degrees. Warmer water promotes a faster life cycle. So basically, all you need to do each day is ensure that you top-off your evaporated water because salinity has to be maintained at 1.008 - 1.010. I much prefer this over copper and have used it many times with success.

You can also use the Tank Transfer Method (TTM). Many have used this with success also but I personally have never tried this method.

Top Shelf Aquatics

ScooterV

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll likely get more visibility in the fish disease forum. #mod can you move this for him?

For Andrew, there are SO many options on QT depending on what you have, space, time, etc. Would you happen to have two tanks for QT, or able to get a second? That way you could ramp up copper, make sure they have 14 days, and then move them to a sterile tank for observation. Or, you could use tank transfer if you have the space. You said you had them "1 1/2", is that days? If so, that would be common. Many LFS run with sub-theraputic copper and only masks issues, and just a couple of days later they are gone :(

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To answer your question there is no benefit from copper if a fish is not afflicted with ich/velvet. However I am one for prophylactic treatment using copper. I see you lost the fish in discussion and I am sorry to hear that. :(

The reason I chose to treat all new arrivals with copper is because often times ich/velvet can be present on a fish without showing actual visible symptoms or "White Spots".

To clear up some of the responses you have received. 14 days in copper treatment will only successfully erradicate ich/velvet if the fish is transferred to a 2nd sterile QT after 14 days in therapuetic copper. If you are using a single QT you need to keep the level therapuetic for a duration of 30 days before lowering the level.

We are also seeing alot of bacterial infections in newly arriving fish.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Queen City Corals
Back