such thing as "wild" saltwater mollies? if so where? and where to buy?

Nutramar

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if "saltwater mollies" occur in nature/live on reefs in nature.

Occasionally my LFS sells "true" saltwater mollies, but the reading I've done suggests these fish naturally occur in fresh and brackish water, not salt. Are the "true" fish just ones that have been pre-acclimated for you? or were they wild collected in saltwater/offspring of wild collected?

I am considering keeping a molly in saltwater, and would prefer to keep a "true" saltwater molly if such a thing exists.

Fishology

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are available as mollies still can breed in saltwater, for. What I know they are born in canals close rivers and oceans they can chose to migrate to the ocean or go to the river. And I have seen mollies born in saltwater that get to maturity so they are available but are difficult to find.

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if "saltwater mollies" occur in nature/live on reefs in nature.

Occasionally my LFS sells "true" saltwater mollies, but the reading I've done suggests these fish naturally occur in fresh and brackish water, not salt. Are the "true" fish just ones that have been pre-acclimated for you? or were they wild collected in saltwater/offspring of wild collected?

I am considering keeping a molly in saltwater, and would prefer to keep a "true" saltwater molly if such a thing exists.
My understanding is that mollies are typically considered brackish water fish, but they can be found in true fresh and true saltwater (including, from my understanding, hypersaline waters) in nature - though I've never heard of one being reef-associated in nature. The Sailfin Molly, Poecilia latipinna, for example can be found in coastal areas (particularly salt-marshes) from North Carolina to Florida (amongst other places).

So, they may be "true" saltwater mollies in that they were collected from saltwater conditions, but they're technically brackish water fish.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Fishology

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that mollies are typically considered brackish water fish, but they can be found in true fresh and true saltwater (including, from my understanding, hypersaline waters) in nature - though I've never heard of one being reef-associated in nature. The Sailfin Molly, Poecilia latipinna, for example can be found in coastal areas (particularly salt-marshes) from North Carolina to Florida (amongst other places).

So, they may be "true" saltwater mollies in that they were collected from saltwater conditions, but they're technically brackish water fish.
That’s super cool

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
WWW.ANIMATEDCORALS.COM
Back