Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings glorious r2r community, I was hoping you could help me ID what is causing this weird string in my reef tank. I’ve seen/read of Vermetidae snails having a stringy tentacle that protrudes however this one is abdominally long and I couldn't track it back to any source. Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

66ECF255-3AE7-41C8-BF31-28E7FE1DED67.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vermitid worms feed by palying out a slime string to catch particles then slurp it up not a tenticle as you.ve appaerently been told. If the string breaks off it will take some time before it dissolves. So my guess is you've got a vermitid someplace.

AquaCave Logo Banner

srobertb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vermitid snail probably. Find the tube, seal it with superglue is my suggestion or crush it depending on if you’re a “hulk” or “Hannibal lecter” kind of pest killer.

Second guess is a hair. I have no idea how my wife’s hair get in my fish tank but a few times a year I have to de-tangle one from an SPS colony.

OP
OP
Bauric

Bauric

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the feedback everyone. I am aware that I do have a few vermetid snails in the tank, I also have a pack of bumble bee snails keeping those in check, it was just weird as this string looking thing was at least a foot in length if not longer and I could not trace either end to anything identifiable. I will keep an eye and see if once i plug some of the vermetidae with superglue this thing comes back. You guys are awesome for all the helpful feedback. Happy Reefing yall!!

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the feedback everyone. I am aware that I do have a few vermetid snails in the tank, I also have a pack of bumble bee snails keeping those in check, it was just weird as this string looking thing was at least a foot in length if not longer and I could not trace either end to anything identifiable. I will keep an eye and see if once i plug some of the vermetidae with superglue this thing comes back. You guys are awesome for all the helpful feedback. Happy Reefing yall!!
A more simple explanation for the stringy thing is it is a strand of hair that got into your tank. I've seen it before. You don't notice until they get tangled on the rock and then stream out in the flow.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AVAST
Back