+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
Can someone help me identify what these transparent tubular growths are at the base of the coral? I also noticed these white circular growths on the plug there. The past couple of days my goniopora hasn’t opened as much as it used to. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 0
Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: 0
Calcium: 400
Magnesium: 1290
Alkalinity: 8-9
Salinity: 1.025

43 gallon Red Sea Reefer

888A165A-BF0A-4672-852E-6CEFF9AD90CE.jpeg

Nutramar Foods
CLICK TO VIEW

Rhoads238

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've personally never had long term success with Goniopora. They would be fine for a few months and then over time they would open less and less until they didn't open at all and eventually die. I think they need to be fed or be in a tank with a lot of fish. If you're not feeding it, maybe try something like reefroids, reef chili or maybe even dosing amino acids will help.

I've found that youtube has been a great source of information for the hobby. Than from Tidal Gardens has done an episode about Goniopora that was interesting. Maybe it will help you figure out whats going on with yours.

OP
OP
Alyssalaurente

Alyssalaurente

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've personally never had long term success with Goniopora. They would be fine for a few months and then over time they would open less and less until they didn't open at all and eventually die. I think they need to be fed or be in a tank with a lot of fish. If you're not feeding it, maybe try something like reefroids, reef chili or maybe even dosing amino acids will help.

I've found that youtube has been a great source of information for the hobby. Than from Tidal Gardens has done an episode about Goniopora that was interesting. Maybe it will help you figure out whats going on with yours.

Hi! Thank you for the advice! I have been feeding reefroids since I purchased the coral a couple of months ago. I have heard mixed information about the goniopora that are being sold nowadays, since more are produced through aquaculture now with greater success rates. I’ll just hope for the best!

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back