Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 180 gallons saltwater tank. 50 gallons sump, with a 130 gallons display.

My question here is, What's the best way for water changes, and storing RODI? do I big a brute trash container? or what else you guys recommend?

Nutramar Foods

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your budget will dictate the containers used. What many people use for a cheap solution is brute trash cans.

And as already pointed out as long as you keep it covered it should last a while.

As for waterchanges. If you search water mixing stations, you'll see that the preferred method is to have a dedicated pump to transfer rodi water into the salt storage bin and then use a series of valves to allow it to pump saltwater into the tank for manual water changes.

You can also automate this task with 2 peristaltic pumps. One removing old saltwater and the other adding it to the tank.

Again it all comes down to budget and preference.

Top Shelf Aquatics

YOYOYOReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use my sump to do water changes.. i drain it, fill it with ro water, add salt. let it heat up, then turn on the return pump.
i have a small powerhead in the sump to mix the salt ...

think the 2 garbage cans with a pump and 3 valves a complete waste of plumbing, unless your sump is small then i can see a need for it. with a 50 gallon sump on a 180 you should be able to do 25 percent water changes if you want to easily this method

PatW

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brute Trash cans work fine.

I have a 300 gallon system so I went with three 44 gallon Brutes on casters, I figured that would work for about a 12% water change. I should have gone with 55 gallon Brutes for a potentially larger water change.

I use one Brute for storin RO/DI water only. My RODI system is a BRS 7 step system ( sediment filter, 2 carbon filters, an RO membrane and 2 DI canisters. I have a 75 GPD system and it seems to deliver right about that. Works just fine.

I keep one Brute with mixed salt water pretty much all the time. It has 2 power heads in it. With lots of flow, I might be able to mix saltwater in a few hours but I always do over night.

I use the last Brute to drain off the water change water. The salt water Brute to add the new water. Then I take the RODI water and mix it with salt mix in the Salt Brute.
It works just fine. And I grow SPS corals just fine. No problems.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tunze
Back