Stocking my 25 gallon

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I'm finally putting together my stock list for my IM 25 lagoon. Give me some feedback.
Fish
2 Caramel Ocellaris clownfish
1 Royal Gramma basslet
1 orchid dottyback
1 sand sifting goby still can't find the right one suggestions plz!
Inverts
10 cerith snails
5 Hermit crabs
5 Limpets
1 Crocea clam
A lot of Feather dusters & Christmas tree worms
3 Pom Pom crabs
2 emerald crabs
2 Flame scallops
1 pistol shrimp
1 scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp
I have a feeling this is probably too much and I will probably have to knock a few off or a lot off of this list. I am also not going to add these all at once this the end goal. What does everyone think? What should I add first? Thank you in advance.

SaltySqueeble

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I'm finally putting together my stock list for my IM 25 lagoon. Give me some feedback.
Fish
2 Caramel Ocellaris clownfish
1 Royal Gramma basslet
1 orchid dottyback
1 sand sifting goby still can't find the right one suggestions plz!
Inverts
10 cerith snails
5 Hermit crabs
5 Limpets
1 Crocea clam
A lot of Feather dusters & Christmas tree worms
3 Pom Pom crabs
2 emerald crabs
2 Flame scallops
1 pistol shrimp
1 scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp
I have a feeling this is probably too much and I will probably have to knock a few off or a lot off of this list. I am also not going to add these all at once this the end goal. What does everyone think? What should I add first? Thank you in advance.
This sounds fun! Going to do much for corals? Maybe Gorgonians?

WalkerLovesTheOcean

I love acans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your stocking list overall is pretty good. Orchid dotty backs can be very aggressive, so maybe rethink that? If you're going to get a pistol shrimp, maybe find a goby that will pair with it? For example watchmen, randalls, ETC. Is there a reason you want three pom pom crabs? I've heard they can be territorial to eachother, but I havent done much research yet. Like wether it's something to do with gender, or time adding them. But what I have heard from some sources is that it's more of just "showing" off, and they're careful not to touch eachother with their nems because they're valuable. I would research this a little more if I were you, to make sure three would work out for you. Flame scallops are usually pretty hard to keep; typically slowly starving over the course of a few months to a year. Are you sure you want these? Clams are difficult to keep, so if you're going to add one I would highly suggest waiting til at least a year after cycling the tank to add one. You could try six months if you feel lucky.

WalkerLovesTheOcean

I love acans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to add corals to list here they are.
Gorgonians
Duncans
Blastos
waving hand anthelia
Acans
Gsp
Any corals will probably be fine. Gorgonians are NPS (Non-photosynthetic), so they rely only on predation. You will probably be finding yourself adding different corals, that's okay. Corals don't have much of an effect on the bioload, so all you have to worry about is theirtemperament, and if you have the right care requirements (Flow, light, stability, ETC). Is this your first SW tank?

OP
OP
BristleWormHater

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your stocking list overall is pretty good. Orchid dotty backs can be very aggressive, so maybe rethink that? If you're going to get a pistol shrimp, maybe find a goby that will pair with it? For example watchmen, randalls, ETC. Is there a reason you want three pom pom crabs? I've heard they can be territorial to eachother, but I havent done much research yet. Like wether it's something to do with gender, or time adding them. But what I have heard from some sources is that it's more of just "showing" off, and they're careful not to touch eachother with their nems because they're valuable. I would research this a little more if I were you, to make sure three would work out for you. Flame scallops are usually pretty hard to keep; typically slowly starving over the course of a few months to a year. Are you sure you want these? Clams are difficult to keep, so if you're going to add one I would highly suggest waiting til at least a year after cycling the tank to add one. You could try six months if you feel lucky.
I plan on adding the clama and flame scallops after at least a year or two. As for the Pom Pom crabs, they only get about an inch in width and love to hide, my tank has plently of space fir them to do that. Thanks for the warning on the orchid dottyback I had no idea. What about a purple firefish instead of the dottyback?

OP
OP
BristleWormHater

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any corals will probably be fine. Gorgonians are NPS (Non-photosynthetic), so they rely only on predation. You will probably be finding yourself adding different corals, that's okay. Corals don't have much of an effect on the bioload, so all you have to worry about is theirtemperament, and if you have the right care requirements (Flow, light, stability, ETC). Is this your first SW tank?
Yes it is my first tank. I am currently setting up a phytoplankton culture to feed the feather dusters and eventually the clam would that work for the gorgonian as well?

WalkerLovesTheOcean

I love acans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on adding the clama and flame scallops after at least a year or two. As for the Pom Pom crabs, they only get about an inch in width and love to hide, my tank has plently of space fir them to do that. Thanks for the warning on the orchid dottyback I had no idea. What about a purple firefish instead of the dottyback?
Your plan sounds good. Like I said I don't know too much about Pom Poms and their aggression, so that's up for you to find out. A purple firefish is a great option. Make sure you have a lid, and plenty of hiding spaces and you will be good to go. They're very skiddish; especially at first. My firefish finally is confident and swimming in the open after 4 months.

IJustThinkItsNeat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25 lagoon here! Another vote to skip the dottyback. I wanted one as well, but they're spicy. I would your passive/more chill fish first. I haven't found a sand sifter I like for this small of a tank. I do enjoy my wheeleri goby and pistol shrimp. They stir up random areas of sand near the rocks. Also have some nassarius and a couple conches.

OP
OP
BristleWormHater

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your plan sounds good. Luke I said I don't know too much about Pom Poms and their aggression, so that's up for you to find out. A purple firefish is a great option. Make sure you have a lid, and plenty of hiding spaces and you will be good to go. They're very skiddish; especially at first. My firefish finally is confident and swimming in the open after 4 months.
Lid is on the way, not adding anything till it gets here.

WalkerLovesTheOcean

I love acans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is my first tank. I am currently setting up a phytoplankton culture to feed the feather dusters and eventually the clam would that work for the gorgonian as well?
Yes; they'll take phytoplankton. They do need light though, too. But that should be no problem since you're growing other photosynthetic corals.

OP
OP
BristleWormHater

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25 lagoon here! Another vote to skip the dottyback. I wanted one as well, but they're spicy. I would your passive/more chill fish first. I haven't found a sand sifter I like for this small of a tank. I do enjoy my wheeleri goby and pistol shrimp. They stir up random areas of sand near the rocks. Also have some nassarius and a couple conches.
I'll look into that I wasn't aware pistol shrimp could pair with a non-sand sifting goby. Thanks!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back