Stocking for first saltwater aquarium

mpatterson42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting ready to put together my first saltwater aquarium, I'm planning on a 40 gallon breeder fish only with live rock setup (I haven't caught the coral bug, maybe someday). These were the fish I was planning on adding. Thoughts on if this is too much, not a good match, or if there's anything I should add?

- Royal Gramma Basslet
- Purple firefish
- Ocellaris Clownfish (a pair probably)
- Diamond Watchman Goby
- Saddle Valentini Puffer
- Mandarin Dragonet
- Azure or Lemon or Jewel Damsel
- Flame hawkfish

Not all at once of course, I was thinking of putting in the first 3 fish, waiting a bit for the goby, then setting up a quarantine tank for the rest and introducing them one at a time as the tank matures.

I really love puffers even though this is going to severely limit my cleanup crew options. I have a 30 gallon sump I plan to run with a protein skimmer and refugium and a bunch of live rock, I'm also planning on seeding cocoapods for the dragonet. I'm interested in Banggai cardinalfish or Pajama cardinalfish as well, but I think I'm pretty well stocked up as it is?

I appreciate any feedback anyone has!

Reef_at_Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would remove the damsels, those guys can get quite territorial...
Your clownfish will be territorial as well and in a 40g breeder it's gonna be a little tight, especially with all those other fish.
The other fish on the list should be fine, just make sure to add them in the right order.

I would also forget the idea about adding a cardinal, with this stock list that fish will probably just float somewhere in the back corner of the tank..

Just my opinion on this matter :)

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
FWIW just strengthening all the above post…

Might be a lil tight IMO, I’d also have that mandarin near last or whenever the tank matures or budget for a “Pod subscription”
…you don’t have a lot of room but consider you can pair Royal Grammas pretty easily …if going single, Black cap maybe, but they don’t show nearly as well

unclejed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing to consider is that although it is a 42 gal., after live rock (depending how much you put in) and the sand or crushed coral bed, you aren't looking at a lot of water volume.

OP
OP
mpatterson42

mpatterson42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the advice. I'll drop the damsels and cardinals and make sure to add the clowns last.

Would it be OK to add the pair of royal gramma and firefish together, then wait and start adding one at a time: watchmen goby, puffer, dragonet, hawkfish, and clownfish?

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
just info but perhaps it’s just me, but firefish just seem to disappear… a lot jump but a lot I have no clue what happened
Anyway, yes if it were me, I’d add those first…I won’t argue other opinions

unclejed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just info but perhaps it’s just me, but firefish just seem to disappear… a lot jump but a lot I have no clue what happened
Anyway, yes if it were me, I’d add those first…I won’t argue other opinions
Yes, weird, I had the same experience.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back