Stocking for 60 gallon - Engineer goby and small eel

dunamis227

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, Im about to buy a 3x2x2.5 foot tank from waterbox and was wondering if I could keep an engineer goby and a small eel together in the same tank? Ofc with lots of caves and rockwork. Its hard to find an answer online

OP
OP
dunamis227

dunamis227

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bingo. Thats why it shouldnt be done, the eel wont have room to move around.
an lfs owner I trust said It would probably be okay as well as liveaquaria saying they are fine in 50g tanks - apparently they only get to 2 feet in captivity? But if its wrong then Im fine with just getting a school of engineer gobies, how many do you guys think is enough?

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
an lfs owner I trust said It would probably be okay as well as liveaquaria saying they are fine in 50g tanks - apparently they only get to 2 feet in captivity? But if its wrong then Im fine with just getting a school of engineer gobies, how many do you guys think is enough?
One will do best. If not I suggest 5 or more. Fish tend to do bad in small groups. In larger groups aggression can be spread out. Saying that getting enough territory may be difficult. If you can find a way to make burrows for the gobies. One suggestion is to cut the ends off of PVC (less then 2”). Gluing them down on their ends and then putting rocks on top. This will mean the gobies can create burrows under rocks without causing cave ins.

OP
OP
dunamis227

dunamis227

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One will do best. If not I suggest 5 or more. Fish tend to do bad in small groups. In larger groups aggression can be spread out. Saying that getting enough territory may be difficult. If you can find a way to make burrows for the gobies. One suggestion is to cut the ends off of PVC (less then 2”). Gluing them down on their ends and then putting rocks on top. This will mean the gobies can create burrows under rocks without causing cave ins.
engineer gobies arent aggressive and do better in groups even if its only 2-3

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
engineer gobies arent aggressive and do better in groups even if its only 2-3
If they are of the right social group. They will fight if you get multiple males. Trust me, I've seen it.

OP
OP
dunamis227

dunamis227

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See above. You can’t get dwarf morays anymore as they are found mostly in Hawaii. If you want a moray the best is probably a chain link.
liveaquaria says minimum 125 for a chain link eel, 2.5 times the tank size they say for a snowflake

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back