Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help me with one of our favorite reefing activities!

Here's the current situation

I've got the tang gang in with 2 friends at the moment in my 7ft 200g barebottom (future mixed/softie reef) display:

1. Achilles Tang
2. Black Tang (big boy, but not overly aggressive)
3. Purple Tang
4. Desjardini Sailfin Tang
5. Yellow FoxFace
6. Copperband Butterfly

Currently in QT
6x Scribbled Anthias (1 male, 5 female)
1x Royal Gramma

Musings

Here are some extra bits of food for thought:

1. Im more of a fish guy, so if certain fish were to pick on some of the corals or delete them from the reef, it wouldnt bother me much.

2. I have my equipment primed to take a lot of abuse in the waste removal department, so i can process high nutrients from frequent feedings and a lotta fish poop. Redsea Reefmat is pretty awesome.

3. I have a centerpiece (attached below) that was built around housing an eel in the event I wanted to pursue that, always loved eels. But have changed my mind from a dragon eel to probably a friendly zebra eel (eel is optional at this point if i can find something else that might utilize the pipes)

I was also wondering, what else would possibly utilize those PVC pipes? I figured a royal gramma would look pretty cool hanging upside down in there.

I also looked at the possibility of some wrasses or a blue spotted jaw fish. I know they need sand, and im more than happy to put a fairly large sized pyrex container camouflaged with rock right in front of the centerpiece with another rock 1/3 of the way above the sand for the Jawfish to build his cave and poke his little head out. Basically a sand basin about 3-5inches thick. Im also prepared to put more of these behind the rock structures so they can pick a home for the night. I would love to hear from other reefers who also keep barebottoms and if they had any success with keeping sand burying fish or jawfish this way and if their fish is thriving.

If i could only add one more tang, it would be a Gem. But given the current situation, unless I add a bunch of tangs or fish all at once, I fear the worst. So... do not tempt me with thoughts of another tang D:

Let's hear your suggestions! Thank you in advance!

photo_6073550473916429035_y.jpg

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
iFunnny

iFunnny

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame hawkfish, an indigo dottyback, marine betta (may like the PVC tubes), sixline and fairy wrasses, some dwarf angels (coral beauty, etc.) If you end up with sand a melanarus is a must for pest control.
Ooo, i do like me the idea of a Marine Betta. My tank's flow is pretty high (to pander to the Achilles), do you think itll be an issue?

AquaCave Logo Banner

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooo, i do like me the idea of a Marine Betta. My tank's flow is pretty high (to pander to the Achilles), do you think itll be an issue?
If it's anything like mine, it prefers a sheltered cave in the rocks to hang out. The fish can definitely move when it wants to.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

PremiumAquatics.com
Back