0   0   0
IMG_4891.jpeg

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time passes slowly when cycling a tank faster with plenty of live rock. Even your cat is waiting

OP
OP
wendyay55

wendyay55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your approach for cycling? Also what test kit are you using to monitor those things?
What is your approach for cycling? Also what test kit are you using to monitor those things?
I used Dr. Tims all in one..added a pinch of food and nitrifying bacteria. I’m using Salifert. Testing for nitrites and ammonia and salinity for now. Weekly water changes and have other Salifert test kits as well. Anything else I should be doing?

OP
OP
wendyay55

wendyay55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time passes slowly when cycling a tank faster with plenty of live rock. Even your cat is waiting
I decided against live rock this time only because the last time I used live rock I had a hitchhiker..I think it was a mantis shrimp. Didn’t see it, but heard snap the glass. Next morning…everyone was missing. I might add a piece in the future because I do love the variety of life that springs from live rock.

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience is key!

Also, don't forget to start your tank build thread! The link in my signature explains how and where to do that. :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided against live rock this time only because the last time I used live rock I had a hitchhiker..I think it was a mantis shrimp. Didn’t see it, but heard snap the glass. Next morning…everyone was missing. I might add a piece in the future because I do love the variety of life that springs from live rock.
One thing you can do with live rock is put it in hyper salinity for a few minutes ( 1.035 ish) it won't take long for all hitchhikers to come running out of the rock to escape the salinity. Then get the rock out, and pick and choose which hitchhikers you want to keep.

One Reefing Boi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Those are good places to begin! Spending in how much food you are adding, you might be able to add a little bit more (only one time).

Also, you don’t want to be doing water changes. You want the ammonia to build up so that the bacteria in Dr Tim’s can do its thing :)

Also, once you start detecting NitrATES and your ammonia goes to 0 (form a detectable level beforehand), you can add your first fish!

What are you looking at keeping? Any fish you like or coral so far?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back