+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y’all, FNG here…
I feel I’d be remiss committing to some equipment without at least inquiring of experienced handlers…
Been in aquariums for decades so familiar, but 1st salt.
I’m hoping I can get to sticks and montis(few LPS, a clam, etc.) in an IM 20 peninsula I just ordered. We’ll start slow and see where we get. I like the look of reef dudes tank for reference.

Anyway, onto my question(s)
Is a Nero 3 enough or do I need to big boy up for a gyre? Maxspect jump 2k or red sea 25? Or really tank that size the 3 is good to go? I understand we’re only talking opinions…I appreciate y’all’s…

the lighting…looking the at reefi 2.0, or 2 blades(1 glow, 1 grow), 3 is just too large an investment for this tank.
I like the pendant, but current philosophy is trending and it makes sense to me to a blanket lighting source like the blades. 3rd option, wait for a radion 15 5/6 to come up used. I can’t seem to find info on shimmer(which I like, don’t want kessils)for reefi or the blades. My current thinking is for the money the reefi is more return in investment and if successful add some blades for less shadowing, etc.
thoughts suggestions greatly appreciated.

Nutramar Foods

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't run a small tank, but I would think a gyre would be over kill in one.

Clams need lots of light and calcium. I would carefully look at the spectral outputs of any light(s) and be sure to get those that will punch out the PAR.

Great questions! lets see what folks who use these know. GL :cool:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi y’all, FNG here…
I feel I’d be remiss committing to some equipment without at least inquiring of experienced handlers…
I’m hoping I can get to sticks and montis(few LPS, a clam, etc.) in an IM 20 peninsula I just ordered. We’ll start slow and see where we get. I like the look of reef dudes tank for reference.

Is a Nero 3 enough or do I need to big boy up for a gyre? Maxspect jump 2k or red sea 25? Or really tank that size the 3 is good to go? I understand we’re only talking opinions…I appreciate y’all’s…

the lighting…looking the at reefi 2.0, or 2 blades(1 glow, 1 grow), 3 is just too large an investment for this tank.
I like the pendant, but current philosophy is trending and it makes sense to me to a blanket lighting source like the blades. 3rd option, wait for a radion 15 5/6 to come up used. I can’t seem to find info on shimmer(which I like, don’t want kessils)for reefi or the blades. My current thinking is for the money the reefi is more return in investment and if successful add some blades for less shadowing, etc.
Nero packs a good punch but one on each end would be ideal or a gyre of the right or left end will create good flow.
For light, two Orphek OR3 -90 bars will do well (one sky blue and blue plus) OR two Ai hydra 26 or 32 hd OR 2 noopsyche K7 V3

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
B

boogiesnap

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nero packs a good punch but one on each end would be ideal or a gyre of the right or left end will create good flow.
For light, two Orphek OR3 -90 bars will do well (one sky blue and blue plus) OR two Ai hydra 26 or 32 hd OR 2 noopsyche K7 V3
Thank you, from what I’ve read the reefi unit is superior to both the radion15 and the hydras for @ the same $ with the radion being better than the hydra in most cases, however, I didn’t even see the Orpheks or the noopsyche so I will look into for sure!
I will take flow from both ends into consideration, i had thought they might need but was hoping maybe not…what’s another $300…lol…

OP
OP
B

boogiesnap

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't run a small tank, but I would think a gyre would be over kill in one.

Clams need lots of light and calcium. I would carefully look at the spectral outputs of any light(s) and be sure to get those that will punch out the PAR.

Great questions! lets see what folks who use these know. GL :cool:
Thank you, agreed, I would think the level of lighting im looking at for a 12 inch deep 24 inch long tank is suitable?
I plan on dosing all for reef and then have an extra head to supplement what the tank needs come that point, calcium, magnesium, whatever.

Avast

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will +1 the Orphek. Exceptional customer service, I had a light go out after 6 months, I provided pictures and proof of purchase and another was put in the mail no questions asked. It was a faulty light, but customer service is an important factor nonetheless.

also they just came out with a controller for the bars. Wonderful wonderful lights.

also don’t sleep on JEBAO for wave makers or returns. Not as flashy, but great products that move some water

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y’all, FNG here…

Nero will be plenty. The current philosophy going on right now is probably being driven by these same companies who are creating new types of lighting and need to push that narrative to sell them. PLENTY i mean PLENTY of absolutely stunning reef tanks have bloomed in the past years since LED has stormed the market. All grown with the types of lighting SOME people are now telling us suck and that we need this new type of LED concept? Something just isn’t adding up for me. I’ve seen some absolute BEAST tanks grown under AI Primes pendants

Top Shelf Aquatics

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the time you buy the reefi and then in the future buy blades for shadowing that you may or may not have. You’re going to be a thousand dollars or more into lighting on a 20g tank…….

Do what someone else said and just buy a couple Orphek bars probably 2. I’m almost positive you’ll be happy as a pig in mud.

not to mention I’m not too sure how you’d mount the blades in the future and them not completely block out your reefi that’s mounted on the tank

CLICK TO VIEW

C4ctus99

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the time you buy the reefi and then in the future buy blades for shadowing that you may or may not have. You’re going to be a thousand dollars or more into lighting on a 20g tank…….

Do what someone else said and just buy a couple Orphek bars probably 2. I’m almost positive you’ll be happy as a pig in mud.
Or just some T5s :face-with-tears-of-joy:

OP
OP
B

boogiesnap

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nero will be plenty. The current philosophy going on right now is probably being driven by these same companies who are creating new types of lighting and need to push that narrative to sell them. PLENTY i mean PLENTY of absolutely stunning reef tanks have bloomed in the past years since LED has stormed the market. All grown with the types of lighting SOME people are now telling us suck and that we need this new type of LED concept? Something just isn’t adding up for me. I’ve seen some absolute BEAST tanks grown under AI Primes pendants
Agreed 100%…there’s a significant sales pitch going on here…however…the “science” of horizon to horizon(waaay too much BRS…lol)kinda makes sense and given the years of t5’s success I can understand the reasoning.
I grew any and all plants in my freshwater under finnex stingray leds, and they weren’t even a grow light. Amazing light btw, unfortunate they don’t make it anymore. I’m into the primes, but for $500 I think a radion, the reefi, or maybe the noopsychethat was just suggested, or 2/3 blades my be superior performing/price products. Really I have no real world experience or data so all your thoughts are extremely helpful.
love the history, form factor, and simple expandability, and control of the primes. They aren’t off the list…

OP
OP
B

boogiesnap

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

not to mention I’m not too sure how you’d mount the blades in the future and them not completely block out your reefi that’s mounted on the tank
You’re so right…
I figured I’d definitely be able to hybrid a hanging mount.
I’m also kinda fru fru…I’d like to have sunset, sunrise, moon, and acclimation. Acclimation being kinda important maybe. The orpheks don’t seem to offer that…?
Seems orphek over blades general consensus?

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
B

boogiesnap

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will +1 the Orphek. Exceptional customer service, I had a light go out after 6 months, I provided pictures and proof of purchase and another was put in the mail no questions asked. It was a faulty light, but customer service is an important factor nonetheless.

also they just came out with a controller for the bars. Wonderful wonderful lights.

also don’t sleep on JEBAO for wave makers or returns. Not as flashy, but great products that move some water
Thank you. Where did you see a controller? Can’t seem to track it down…

OP
OP
B

boogiesnap

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This rabbit hole is deep AF…been at this for a couple months learning gear, chemistry, animals…and still….
If you have time…what orpheks would you suggest? Sky and plus like above? Or day and violet? Or sky and day? Or plus and day….omg…

OP
OP
B

boogiesnap

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looking at the jebao, very very enticing…could get two for less than one Nero…have any experience with the newer model with Wi-Fi and lcd screen? Looks like only on Amazon or Ali express. Purple blade not the blue. Think I’ll sacrifice having everything in one app, which I was hoping to accomplish somehow(like 2 primes/blades and a Nero, reefwave 25 and a pair of 90’s)for a better environment with two jebao’s

Corals.com

ilikefish69

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the jebao, very very enticing…could get two for less than one Nero…have any experience with the newer model with Wi-Fi and lcd screen? Looks like only on Amazon or Ali express. Purple blade not the blue. Think I’ll sacrifice having everything in one app, which I was hoping to accomplish somehow(like 2 primes/blades and a Nero, reefwave 25 and a pair of 90’s)for a better environment with two jebao’s
No experience with the new Jebao with WIFI, but a buddy has two of the wave makers and has them connected. Not “user friendly” but doable. The orphek controller is new this month I believe, have to order one directly from Orphek. For the lights I would recommend three, blue plus, violet plus, and violet reef day. The reef day+ is my least favorite, too much orange.

ilikefish69

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Where did you see a controller? Can’t seem to track it down…
0A3E43FA-58F4-404D-8820-D22267A0E494.png

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Queen City Corals
Back