+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have recently purchased and tried to install Steve's LEDs Biocube 16 kit. I know it's not a total DIY, but I think it might need a DIY solution. Anyhow, I have attached pictures for clarity.

My circuitry board lines up differently compared to the pictures provided on the website. (The box-like LDD-1000H drivers are more rightward on my board and theres two little metal cylinders to the left of the box-shaped drivers that aren't there on the picture from Steve's website). This creates a clearance issue with the wires exiting the LED board. Basically the box-like led driver forces the wire to make a hard right turn. Has anyone encountered this with a Steve's LED kit? I know the kits have changed slightly over the years, but this is my first Steve's kit.

Also, possibly secondary to the above mentioned clearance issue, the board doesnt seem to want to sit snugly down in the hood and the splashguard very tightly contacts one of the LDD-1000H drivers when it's screwed down.

User install error? Is this normal? To me it seems like the wires contacting the driver and splashguard flexing on the driver would cause longterm issues. I tried following the online gif instructions to best of my ability. The screwholes are all lined up according to instructions.

Attached pictures:
1. My hood big view
2. My hood close up view of wire making hard turn at LDD-1000H brick
3. My hood close up view with green drawing of expected course of wire.
4. snapshot of hood from Steve's LED website.
IMG_4546.JPG
IMG_4549.JPG
IMG_4547.jpg
IMG_4556.JPG

Top Shelf Aquatics

likemike99

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was all one unit with the fan connected to the lights by a big aluminum housing. When I installed it as directed, the fan was 1/2 covered up, so I only used 2 (not 3) of the screws on each side to get better flow.

Nutramar Foods

JerseyNinja

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had this same exact issue for my biocube 16 recently. Contacted them and they sent me a new light. Something must have changed with the biocube..

Love this light, corals responded immediately.
I have the Hurricane X controller as well and am a bit confused with its setup.

Sunrise, is obviously when the lights turn on. Sunset is when I have it set to more of a blue spectrum and it looks as good as the tanks at my LFS. What I don't get is that the lights never actually shut off. I have to pull the power each and every night. If anyone knows what I'm missing, please let me know.

Flreefjunky

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the lights on a 32 bio cube with the hurricane x controller as well. when I set it up the moon phase was on from the factory. Once I turned that off the lights turn all the way of after the sunset ramp down time.

JerseyNinja

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the lights on a 32 bio cube with the hurricane x controller as well. when I set it up the moon phase was on from the factory. Once I turned that off the lights turn all the way of after the sunset ramp down time.
I have moonlight off. Sunset at 18:00 with a ramp down time of 90 min. Yet it stays on even past midnight. Clock is set correctly too. Pretty frustrating at this point.

Flreefjunky

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you enter setup mode it says set pwm day but if you don't select that and turn the knob one click it goes to pwm night settings. The night setting is also for each channel of lights. I have all of my channels set to 0 in this setting.

Corals.com

JerseyNinja

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you enter setup mode it says set pwm day but if you don't select that and turn the knob one click it goes to pwm night settings. The night setting is also for each channel of lights. I have all of my channels set to 0 in this setting.
You know I thought about that but doesn't that leave the setup with just one light setting? I wanted a slightly stronger white during the day then mostly blue after sunset. Kind of how you can set the stock lights. A bit disappointing that you can only set one light setting with this fancy hurricane x controller.

Really appreciate the feedback man, thank you!

Flreefjunky

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a problem. There is moon phase settings that do lights at night. You can set each channel up during the day as you know but I think the controller is set up similar to the radian lights but instead of choosing a light for more white or blue this controller lets you choose how much you want of each color.

JerseyNinja

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a problem. There is moon phase settings that do lights at night. You can set each channel up during the day as you know but I think the controller is set up similar to the radian lights but instead of choosing a light for more white or blue this controller lets you choose how much you want of each color.
So I couldn't deal with the idea of not having daytime and night-time independent settings so I just added a digital outlet timer. I have it set to turn the lights on 5 mins prior to sunrise and completely off at 11PM.

My tank is in my bedroom so it'll also be a relief from the fan noise this light kit generates.

Sorry to the OP for hijacking this thread. I do hope you had your fitment issue corrected.

AS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Big Sale !! UP To 50% OFF !! On Fish Antibiotics
Back