Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I am starting on my quest for a reef tank 40 gal. I currently have 40lbs of live rock. Machines: The usual.

currently my water has been running for 3weeks

water today is as follows
Ammonia 2ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
PH 8.0-8.2
Salinity : 1.023
Temp: 78 degrees
dKH 14

i feel like my dKH is too high?? Opinions?

AquaCave Logo Banner

fishski13

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I apologize- I am using the master saltwater test kit with the drips. Additionally I buy the salt from petco called coral pro salt
So the first thing is the test kit you are using is not the most accurate thing out there, the API line is fine to get you through the cycle but when you want accurate and consistent results other test kits like Salifert, Aquaforest, or Hanna would be more sufficent.

By coral pro salt I assume you are using Red Sea Coral Pro Salt, however didnt know petco sold this salt.

This salt comes with a alkalinity of 11.5-12.5 when mixed at 1.025 salinity, this is the result that you should get from freshly mixed salt. So with your situation either your salinity is wrong and you have salinity higher than 1.025 like 1.027 that would result in a high alkalinity or your API test kit is inaccurate.

OP
OP
X

xXShadowPlagueXx

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the first thing is the test kit you are using is not the most accurate thing out there, the API line is fine to get you through the cycle but when you want accurate and consistent results other test kits like Salifert, Aquaforest, or Hanna would be more sufficent.

By coral pro salt I assume you are using Red Sea Coral Pro Salt, however didnt know petco sold this salt.

This salt comes with an alkalinity of 11.5-12.5 when mixed at 1.025 salinity, this is the result that you should get from freshly mixed salt. So with your situation either your salinity is wrong and you have salinity higher than 1.025 like 1.027 that would result in a high alkalinity or your API test kit is inaccurate.
It was the last one I got and I see! I really appreciate your response. I will make the changes accordingly. Will go to an actual Aquarium store

BRS
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Visit Detroit Reef Club
Back