Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I have been battling ick in my fowlr tank for a bit. I thought I had it in control, then I just lost an emperor and trigger. Hospital tank is started up, just had questions:

1. Is Fritz Coppersafe ok with a porcupine puffer? I have heard multiple opinions.
2. Sand sifting. I have a pair of gold head sleeper gobies. Do I need to provide sand for them in the hospital tank? Or will they eat from the water column?
3. I have a large zebra eel. Rumor is they wont get ich and he is ok? Showing no signs, eating well, etc. And copper is a no go for eels, correct?

Thank you!!!

Top Shelf Aquatics

dwest

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This chart has been helpful for me.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I have been battling ick in my fowlr tank for a bit. I thought I had it in control, then I just lost an emperor and trigger. Hospital tank is started up, just had questions:

1. Is Fritz Coppersafe ok with a porcupine puffer? I have heard multiple opinions.
2. Sand sifting. I have a pair of gold head sleeper gobies. Do I need to provide sand for them in the hospital tank? Or will they eat from the water column?
3. I have a large zebra eel. Rumor is they wont get ich and he is ok? Showing no signs, eating well, etc. And copper is a no go for eels, correct?

Thank you!!!
I would put all of the fish into a proper copper treatment. If you do not - you could do a TTM (Tank Transfer method) - for the supposed sensitive fish. How are you sure that its Ich causing the problem - more information is needed IMHO:)

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, sorry to hear this. Did you happen to try the search function?
This is a very specific question - the search function - while helpful will take days to wade through - thats why there is a a [HASH=55964]#fishmedic[/HASH] hashtag

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very specific question - the search function - while helpful will take days to wade through - thats why there is a a [HASH=55964]#fishmedic[/HASH] hashtag
Yes it will but it also decreases the amount of threads started on this forum. I spend days wading through them to find answers. We all too often answer the same questions multiple times a day.

I did a search here and on google and found several answers rather quickly. I'm not trying to be rude, its just a lot of threads get pushed down the list by repeating topics.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will but it also decreases the amount of threads started on this forum. I spend days wading through them to find answers. We all too often answer the same questions multiple times a day.

I did a search here and on google and found several answers rather quickly. I'm not trying to be rude, its just a lot of threads get pushed down the list by repeating topics.
The purpose of the forum - to my understanding - is to provide this function. I would suggest you contact the mods? @Daniel@R2R

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purpose of the forum - to my understanding - is to provide this function. I would suggest you contact the mods? @Daniel@R2R
To provide what function? My understanding is that its here to bring people together and assist people with keeping a healthy reef. Which it does very well if you look for the answers. When they aren't there, many people will help. But, you can't help someone who doesn't want to help themselves.

Sorry OP, I didn't mean to hijack your post. This is my last reply.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Thank you!!!
Yes with porcupine and at level 2.0 tto 2.25 with added aeration with air stone and monitor ammonia with a reliable test kit. A bowl of sand for the gobies will keep them happy and eel is not immune but copper not recommended but rather Ruby Rally pro.
In Quarantine tank, treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.0-2.25 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off

World Wide Corals

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To provide what function? My understanding is that its here to bring people together and assist people with keeping a healthy reef. Which it does very well if you look for the answers. When they aren't there, many people will help. But, you can't help someone who doesn't want to help themselves.

Sorry OP, I didn't mean to hijack your post. This is my last reply.
The function is to answer questions - not to force people to search for their own answers. Hopefully this answers your question.

nereefpat

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it's ich, and not something else going on?
I haven't used it with puffers, personally.
For sand sifting gobies, I've only kept a diamond. Mine did not eat any prepared foods, but some people's have apparently. If QTing them, silica based sand isn't a bad idea.
If you are dealing with ich, you need to treat all fishes in the display. I haven't used copper on eels either.

To me, this sounds like a good chance to use hyposalinity in the display...again, as long as it's ich that's ailing you.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you!!!

My thoughts:

1. Is Fritz Coppersafe ok with a porcupine puffer? I have heard multiple opinions. Yes, I've dosed them many times with no issues at all.

2. Sand sifting. I have a pair of gold head sleeper gobies. Do I need to provide sand for them in the hospital tank? Or will they eat from the water column? How long have you had the gobies? These don't always adapt well to captive diets. You may need to use silica sand in the QT (no carbonate sand of course).

3. I have a large zebra eel. Rumor is they wont get ich and he is ok? Showing no signs, eating well, etc. And copper is a no go for eels, correct? That species can get ich, at least I've recovered trophonts from skin scrapes I've done on them. This species is known to go on hunger strikes, but if it has been eating well for you and is full bodied, it will skate through a 30 day copper treatment o.k.

Jay

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Baffels

Baffels

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, sorry to hear this. Did you happen to try the search function?
Yes, I did. Multiple opinions given for these questions are multiple years old on this forum. I wanted to see if there was any updated information.

OP
OP
Baffels

Baffels

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts:

1. Is Fritz Coppersafe ok with a porcupine puffer? I have heard multiple opinions. Yes, I've dosed them many times with no issues at all.

2. Sand sifting. I have a pair of gold head sleeper gobies. Do I need to provide sand for them in the hospital tank? Or will they eat from the water column? How long have you had the gobies? These don't always adapt well to captive diets. You may need to use silica sand in the QT (no carbonate sand of course).

3. I have a large zebra eel. Rumor is they wont get ich and he is ok? Showing no signs, eating well, etc. And copper is a no go for eels, correct? That species can get ich, at least I've recovered trophonts from skin scrapes I've done on them. This species is known to go on hunger strikes, but if it has been eating well for you and is full bodied, it will skate through a 30 day copper treatment o.k.

Jay
Thank you, as always, for the info Jay. The gobies are paired and I have had them for around 8 months.

OP
OP
Baffels

Baffels

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes with porcupine and at level 2.0 tto 2.25 with added aeration with air stone and monitor ammonia with a reliable test kit. A bowl of sand for the gobies will keep them happy and eel is not immune but copper not recommended but rather Ruby Rally pro.
In Quarantine tank, treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.0-2.25 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
Thank you for the reply. Luckily the display tank is already broken down (red sea seal bust).

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Baffels

Baffels

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts:

Jay
Jay, with these fish listed (+1 foxface), would you recommend hyposalinity over coppersafe at this point?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, with these fish listed (+1 foxface), would you recommend hyposalinity over coppersafe at this point?
If you can run hypo in the tank where the gobies have sand, then yes, I would go that route - 30 days beyond the last date symptoms were seen at 1.009

Jay

World Wide Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
BSA
Back