+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Used to be a roamer, now stuck as a homer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kids finally talked me into getting a saltwater tank. We went budget friendly for our first one. Hope we don't wind up regretting too soon.

Setup so far - Fluval 13.5 Evo, a little over 10 pounds of Caribsea sand about 1 inch, and 10 pounds of liferock. So far filled up with the expensive boxed water (going to need to figure that out fast), and now just running everything. Not going to rush even though LFS says I can add fish in about 48 hours once everything settles.

I'm sure I did a lot wrong already, but that's how I learn. (First mistake adding water and stirring up all the sand, guess I'll have to wait a few days for the cloudiness to go away)/

As for stocking, not 100% sure. Think a small clown, yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp, and some small clean up crew addition.

I have a freshwater tank established for a few years. Can I use that test kit for ammonia/nitrates/nitrites, or are the test parameters different with salinity?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

ElementReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear that’s one of the best first tanks! Coming out of my first year in this, here’s a few ideas:

Salt is an order of magnitude more demanding, fascinating, stressful and rewarding than fresh. Lots of drama.

I’m pretty sure my API nitrate/nitrite/ammonia tests say “for fresh or salt water” and I also use them on my betta tank.

Reefing is a lot about maintenance. Make the maintenance routine as easy and efficient as you can, or else you’ll get overwhelmed. Your stock list sounds great. Out of the box the Evo will support soft coral no problem. I’d start there and stay there until you’ve got things into a groove. Like months, not weeks.

Nutramar Foods

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can dose fritz turbo and put fish in pretty much immediately. I've done it a few times with no issues.
Oh wow, wasn't aware that product actually worked as well as they claim... mostly just wanted to mention the cycle in general since he didn't mention using any particular product or dosing ammonia...would hate for his first experience to go that way...

OP
OP
B

backintothereef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know you have to cycle if you used Liferock, right?
yup, that is why I'm not rushing. want the best chance for livestock. Was surprised the store said fish are fine right away.

For cycling, I think I'm going the Tim's route, but need to find it locally or order it. Learned from my freshwater setup years back that patience is key.

And of course monitoring ammonia/nitrates/nitrites/pH throughout.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My kids finally talked me into getting a saltwater tank. We went budget friendly for our first one. Hope we don't wind up regretting too soon.

Setup so far - Fluval 13.5 Evo, a little over 10 pounds of Caribsea sand about 1 inch, and 10 pounds of liferock. So far filled up with the expensive boxed water (going to need to figure that out fast), and now just running everything. Not going to rush even though LFS says I can add fish in about 48 hours once everything settles.

I'm sure I did a lot wrong already, but that's how I learn. (First mistake adding water and stirring up all the sand, guess I'll have to wait a few days for the cloudiness to go away)/

As for stocking, not 100% sure. Think a small clown, yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp, and some small clean up crew addition.

I have a freshwater tank established for a few years. Can I use that test kit for ammonia/nitrates/nitrites, or are the test parameters different with salinity?
Do as planned. Do not rush as you stated and do not add fritz and add immediate fish - guppies yes- marine specimens , no
The proper cycle which will last 14 days give or take is setting up as you have, add liquid denitrifying bacteria such as microBacter XLM or 7, and add Ammonia chloride or piece of shrimp to the tank for 2-3 days and remove and flush.
Use a reliable test kit such as hanna or salifert instead of badge or low cost kit
Monitor ammonia and nitrate levels closely. Ammonia and nitrate should rise then slowly fall.
When ammonia has dropped and remained at zero for 45 days and nitrate has risen and dropped to 20 or below for 5 days also - You are Cycled.
Adding fish slowly will assure the new bacteria can handle the new bioload and make transition smooth. Addition of live rock will also contribute to the cycling process. If you have a skimmer, no need to run yet until you have added livestock

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best advice is don't rely on your freshwater experience to help you, saltwater is almost completely different, bio filters and fish stocking are completely different.

Its a huge learning curve, I found that out myself the hard way., as did many freshwater keepers. Research and patience really are the key with saltwater (and lots of money)

TheReefDiary

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, wasn't aware that product actually worked as well as they claim... mostly just wanted to mention the cycle in general since he didn't mention using any particular product or dosing ammonia...would hate for his first experience to go that way...
vette guys advice is definitely the safest, but you can get away with fritz turbo and a hardy fish. I used it to start my last tank with a clown and no issues. clown wasn't stressed and ammonia never built up or became an issue. I wouldn't add more than 1 fish this way though and I'd always ensure prime and water for a decent size water change is on hand. using fritz I've never had to use either, but again someone else's experience may not be yours.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

ElementReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vette guys advice is definitely the safest, but you can get away with fritz turbo and a hardy fish. I used it to start my last tank with a clown and no issues. clown wasn't stressed and ammonia never built up or became an issue. I wouldn't add more than 1 fish this way though and I'd always ensure prime and water for a decent size water change is on hand. using fritz I've never had to use either, but again someone else's experience may not be yours.

I have found (in my limited experience) that water volume is the biggest consideration when cycling. I cycled my 55 with a small pair of clowns and bottled bacteria because LFS said do it, barely registered ammonia, actually barely registered anything. Compare that to my 10 gallon quarantine tank for small fish, even when I put in mature bio media AND add bottled bacteria, the ammonia spikes and I have to manage with big water changes.

An Evo 13.5 is small. Easier to maintain than say a 40 breeder, but water quality will be more volatile.

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found (in my limited experience) that water volume is the biggest consideration when cycling. I cycled my 55 with a small pair of clowns and bottled bacteria because LFS said do it, barely registered ammonia, actually barely registered anything. Compare that to my 10 gallon quarantine tank for small fish, even when I put in mature bio media AND add bottled bacteria, the ammonia spikes and I have to manage with big water changes.

An Evo 13.5 is small. Easier to maintain than say a 40 breeder, but water quality will be more volatile.
Don't you think that has to do directly with the amount of ammonia added per volume? A bigger tank needs more ammonia.

ElementReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't you think that has to do directly with the amount of ammonia added per volume? A bigger tank needs more ammonia.
Yup of course. Adding your ammonia source I think it depends on your goals maybe? I imagine the nitrifying bacteria population slowly increased as I slowly added bioload to the 55. If you have a 13.5 and have a goal of stocking it fully, quickly, then I don’t see any way around doing a fishless cycle with an ammonia source.

In my experience bottled bacteria has been underwhelming, especially in smaller tanks.

Corals.com
OP
OP
B

backintothereef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going the Dr. Tim's one and only road. Following with the live sand directions, I did have ammonia after 24 hours of startup (1.5 ppm). I probably should have tested other parameters last night, but it was new years eve, I got sidetracked with some fireworks. I added the one and only around 10 PM last night.

This morning I tested. Still have ammonia of 1.5. Nitrites 0, Nitrates 5 ppm.

Not sure if this is normal of a beginning of a cycle?

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
World Wide Corals
Back