Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am in the beginning stages of upgrading to a larger tank and I am trying to find a tank somewhere in the range of 100g (75-120) and the only tanks I can find, the dimensions seem so obscure to me. It seems like the vast majority will be something like 4ft long, but only 15-18" wide/deep. That just looks so strange to me, having a long and very skinny tank. I was hoping to find a tank in the range of 36" long, 24 wide and 24 high, because as a whole, that shape would be more "normal" or at least more uniform. Any ideas on if/where I can find a tank that would be less "skinny?" The length can be anywhere from 36"-60" so long as the width isnt under 2ft, because anything that small just looks weird IMO. Another note, is that I am not interested in those AIO's that are thousands of dollars. I am trying to find just the tank and I will DIY the rest of it(stand, lights, sump, etc). I dont have a lot of money for this so I cant afford the super nice AIO's which so far are the only ones I can find that have the more "normal" dimensions

Avast

C4ctus99

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most tanks of that size are long and thin for the fish to have more room to swim in. Petco is having a 50% off sale on Aqueon tanks (or was yesterday lol) I’d look at those first. A 60g might be more “normal” looking to you, 48x20x16 ish, or a 75 which is 48x20x20ish. The 75g is currently only $130

not much in the 36” range except maybe a cube style 90gallon or something

OP
OP
S

smalltownuser

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most tanks of that size are long and thin for the fish to have more room to swim in. Petco is having a 50% off sale on Aqueon tanks (or was yesterday lol) I’d look at those first. A 60g might be more “normal” looking to you, 48x20x16 ish, or a 75 which is 48x20x20ish. The 75g is currently only $130

not much in the 36” range except maybe a cube style 90gallon or something
Yeah I did see their sale, I was just hoping to find one a little wider. Thank you

Corals.com

RocketEngineer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nearly every tank size started out as a FW system that we adopted. A good reef tank should be shorter, with a larger footprint. My current tank is 48X24X20 so about 100g. I love the shape because it gave me lots of opportunity to aquascape. It’s more a custom size so not cheap.

OP
OP
S

smalltownuser

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nearly every tank size started out as a FW system that we adopted. A good reef tank should be shorter, with a larger footprint. My current tank is 48X24X20 so about 100g. I love the shape because it gave me lots of opportunity to aquascape. It’s more a custom size so not cheap.
Yeah that size sounds great, but all I can find are 48x18 wide. That extra 4-6" would make all the aesthetic much better but I cant find them

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
S

smalltownuser

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered a used tank? I got my 90 gallon cube that way. You can find them on Facebook marketplace. You can also find them at decent LFSs.
Yep Ive been on FBM all day, and checking craigslist, but theyre all super weird dimensions. Just trying to find who might sell wider tanks

BRS
OP
OP
S

smalltownuser

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
who sells a lot of tanks in your area? track down a brand and size you want and call.
A bunch of stores do, but they are the "unusual" sizes. My point of this thread was to see if there was a brand or online retailer that sells/makes better sizes

workhz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bunch of stores do, but they are the "unusual" sizes. My point of this thread was to see if there was a brand or online retailer that sells/makes better sizes
Seapora seems to make a 120 in the size you’re looking for. Elmers in Pittsburgh carries but out of stock. You can also try ‘thatpetplace’ as they can order and ship iirc. Lots of places can also order for you. Google search the manufacturers of the size you want and call local shops to perhaps order.

AS
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

NY
Back