Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure to make the top flat and tie the tops of the 2×4's together in a perimeter frame and across the front to back dimension. Then, you could use 2cm Quartz, Corian solid surface, 3/4" PVC, HDPE, or plywood that is sealed against water. You just want even support under the entire surface of the acrylic tank bottom. You can use polystyrene foam up to 1" thick as a topper to plywood to prevent uneven support. Lots of ways to skin that top!

World Wide Corals

bradreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure to make the top flat and tie the tops of the 2×4's together in a perimeter frame and across the front to back dimension. Then, you could use 2cm Quartz, Corian solid surface, 3/4" PVC, HDPE, or plywood that is sealed against water. You just want even support under the entire surface of the acrylic tank bottom. You can use polystyrene foam up to 1" thick as a topper to plywood to prevent uneven support. Lots of ways to skin that top!
Agree

Nails and screws into everything

Attachments

• PSX_20230331_221345.jpg
    PSX_20230331_221345.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m
do you have an example?

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree

looking at yours , all i need to do it put 2x4 across the end , and length wise then. t
Agree

Do you think laying the 2x4 so that it's 2" support instead of upright 4" makes a difference in the loading capacity? I see yours is laying down and every stand build i seen they have them upright.

Top Shelf Aquatics

bradreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking at yours , all i need to do it put 2x4 across the end , and length wise then. t

Do you think laying the 2x4 so that it's 2" support instead of upright 4" makes a difference in the loading capacity? I see yours is laying down and every stand build i seen they have them upright.
I think they are stronger with the 2 inch side up. The 2x4s on mine arent load bearing and just reinforcement for the sides. I felt like the perimiter wood was enough to hold a tank as this stand previously held the same sized tank without a top. I also added load weight support with the verticle supports i added. Tying it all together added a ton of strength and no worry about failure

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are stronger with the 2 inch side up. The 2x4s on mine arent load bearing and just reinforcement for the sides. I felt like the perimiter wood was enough to hold a tank as this stand previously held the same sized tank without a top. I also added load weight support with the verticle supports i added. Tying it all together added a ton of strength and no worry about failure
I don’t have braces running at bottom . The 2x4 are vertical screwed in on the bottom sheet of wood. I’m thinking of adding those 2x4 to top and adding horizontal support .

Do you think I should squeeze on down there , or take the panels off and pretty much build the frame around the sump as is . Or do you think the top framing will be good with weight pushing down

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Neptune
Back