Squamosa x Maxima hybrid characteristics?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my new clam today, sold as a Maxima however both me and the LFS believe it’s actually a Squamie x Maxi hybrid. Are there any big indicators of this?
Currently I have the clam on the sandbed (It’s Byssal Threads are attached to a slab of slate) as my lights are extremely bright and the whole tank is hit with Atleast 300 PAR.

I would also like to know where this clam is best to be placed as Squamosa are to my knowledge sand burrowing clams whilst maxima are Rock-boring clams.

Here’s the top down of the clam so far (His mantle isn’t fully extended yet as he only went into the tank a few hours ago).
7ADEA03E-7A30-4996-B728-F8FCBFC8A044.jpeg

P.S. This isn’t my first clam, I have a thriving Deresa in the front of the tank which is also buried in the sand.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

outerbank

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What features are you thinking make it a hybrid? There is a fair amount of debate whether real Mimosa hybrids exist. I believe there are and I have 2 that have been sold to me as Mimosas and I believe they are based on their size and growth rate alone. Both these blue clams are said to be Mimosas. The big one is probably 8+ inches when open with a shell about 7 inches wide. I have them resting upon coarse Calcium Reactor media mixed with sand. Light is bright but not crocea bright. I'll be measuring PAR tomorrow if I heave the time.
IMG_8641.jpeg
IMG_8637.jpeg

Last edited:

outerbank

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most Mimosas I have seen have some gold in them. They also tend to be more an aquagreen/blue color than bright blue. To me, the mantels seem to open and overlap more than most maximas. They grow fast, even when small, and don't need as much light as a maxima. Last, I am not sure, but they seem to have an extra fold in the mantel (however I have never heard anyone else say this)

Last edited:
AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing that makes me think it’s a maxima is how large the newest scutes are, they also don’t appear to be in uneven rows although it’s a pain to get hold of photos of the rows.
BE80912B-7B73-4A3D-A2EE-AFFAEA9F3E06.jpeg

The best photo of the scutes I have gotten is this
99A03DBD-6664-47AD-B79C-F6AEC2CEC610.jpeg

The mantle pattern also looks strange for a maxima but I’m aware they range in pattern a lot. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one with a line that dominant on the edge of the mantle.

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What features are you thinking make it a hybrid? There is a fair amount of debate whether real Mimosa hybrids exist. I believe there are and I have 2 that have been sold to me as Mimosas and I believe they are based on their size and growth rate alone. Both these blue clams are said to be Mimosas. The big one is probably 8+ inches when open with a shell about 7 inches wide. I have them resting upon coarse Calcium Reactor media mixed with sand. Light is bright but not crocea bright. I'll be measuring PAR tomorrow if I heave the time. View attachment 2881143View attachment 2881144
Scott,
Your clams are doing great. Growing like gang busters, and beautiful.
Also, IMO, there are clear documentations that there are hybrids. Not easy and the vibrable offspring are much less according to the writing of some breeders. The genetic contribution is also not even in term of egg and sperm contributor. It seems that the only hybrid possible are Squamosa, Crocea and Maxima. Which parent is the egg donor also make a big different in that the coloration and size of the hybrid.

Last edited:
AquaCave Logo Banner

DHill6

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This came from PEA as a Mimosa. It’s not a small baby anymore. Blue with tan and teal running through it, teal doesn’t show under lights. Gains new scutes all the time. I just moved it under the center of the light, this guy needs a lot of room since it opens wide. Par is 170 not accounting for the screen top, had it for years under lower par and to the left side of tank.
6269B986-17DF-4CDA-A87A-2731F6A1D4F7.jpeg
AE672C96-4C61-471B-B4EA-2E03ECEB3B13.jpeg
678FFF62-6A6E-40F3-82EC-6B4D566421C6.jpeg

DHill6

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What features are you thinking make it a hybrid? There is a fair amount of debate whether real Mimosa hybrids exist. I believe there are and I have 2 that have been sold to me as Mimosas and I believe they are based on their size and growth rate alone. Both these blue clams are said to be Mimosas. The big one is probably 8+ inches when open with a shell about 7 inches wide. I have them resting upon coarse Calcium Reactor media mixed with sand. Light is bright but not crocea bright. I'll be measuring PAR tomorrow if I heave the time. View attachment 2881143View attachment 2881144
Beautiful clams, what’s your PAR under what light?

outerbank

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

James talks about hybrids around the 22 minute mark. This is 6 years ago, but this should help.
That's a great talk I watched around the time it came out. It's the reason I mentioned the debate. None the less, the clams labeled as Mimosas, true hybrids or not, are usually stunning and IME, one of the easier clams too keep!

Top Shelf Aquatics

outerbank

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful clams, what’s your PAR under what light?
Still haven't measured, but I will post when I do. When I previously measured, I think PAR was 210-250. 400 watt Hamilton 10K MHs and T5s. Tank is 30 inch deep but has 4 inch sand bed. I just bought a new kessil and plan to increase par very slowly to 250-300par if the clams like it. The Mimosas and Giga's don't need as much light as maximas. IME, Maximas need a lot of par--around 400+ likely gets you to the safe zone.

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@outerbank
Scott
Post pictures of your clownfish pair. I do believe that they are THE OLDEST CAPTIVE BREED PAIR IF CLOWNFISH in the world.
Oops wrong thread

outerbank

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@outerbank
Scott
Post pictures of your clownfish pair. I do believe that they are THE OLDEST CAPTIVE BREED PAIR IF CLOWNFISH in the world.
Oops wrong thread
Hi Mihn. I'll work on a thread this weekend if I can get some time. Tank raised clowns raised by a hobbiest in San Antonio. I bought them in 1993 from a little shop called Aquarium Sales and Services in San Antonio. Pictures are quick shots from tonight. They are ready for bed and hanging out in the anemones.

IMG_8748.jpeg IMG_8747.jpeg
IMG_8747.jpeg
IMG_8748.jpeg

Last edited:
AquaCave Logo Banner

DHill6

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still haven't measured, but I will post when I do. When I previously measured, I think PAR was 210-250. 400 watt Hamilton 10K MHs and T5s. Tank is 30 inch deep but has 4 inch sand bed. I just bought a new kessil and plan to increase par very slowly to 250-300par if the clams like it. The Mimosas and Giga's don't need as much light as maximas. IME, Maximas need a lot of par--around 400+ likely gets you to the safe zone.
What do you think is causing this @outerbank. It started with a white line going up the back of siphon and the white area back there. A light colored patch was showing in the front which progressed to a black patch and black line that went up the front of the siphon. Black is getting better but now that part is white. I’ve moved it under the light, more par and whiter intensity. It started after I went towards blue and less intensity, my mistake. It has been growing under less than 150 par from a Kessil 500x. Now it’s more 185-210 with the screen top and pumps running. Mimosa
1F75D246-5D82-4270-ABC0-6256FF6D184B.jpeg
79441727-95AA-45BC-9D75-8148B2AD7365.jpeg
DE382CC3-33AB-494F-BF32-CB98DFA3F003.jpeg

outerbank

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think is causing this @outerbank. It started with a white line going up the back of siphon and the white area back there. A light colored patch was showing in the front which progressed to a black patch and black line that went up the front of the siphon. Black is getting better but now that part is white. I’ve moved it under the light, more par and whiter intensity. It started after I went towards blue and less intensity, my mistake. It has been growing under less than 150 par from a Kessil 500x. Now it’s more 185-210 with the screen top and pumps running. Mimosa View attachment 2891477View attachment 2891478View attachment 2891479
I think it needed more light and I think you have done the right thing increasing the PAR to around 200 and make the light more full spectrum. When it is adjusted to the new light, would increase the light to around 225-250. My mimosas change color. I am not sure of how everything (light/photospell/tank parameters, etc) influences the color change, but lighting has a significant influence, IME, on color. When the mantel is wide open and spread out, I usually believe the clam can benefit from more light or changes in light color. If the clam is from PEA, I would send the pics to Dr. Mac to see what he thinks.

Top Shelf Aquatics

DHill6

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the idea contacting Dr Mac @outerbank. He answered pretty quickly…little is known about clam care and diseases. I’ve stopped dosing bacteria products, back to basics and see what happens. So strange watching white spots show up, areas darken black they lighten to white, lines show up they disappear. The only good part of this is Gold color is now showing up in areas. It’s up to the clam, I can only do so much.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

NicerReefs. Your Reef. But Nicer.
Back