Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since SPS can grow larger than the tank they are in then couldn't one raise frags on larger diameter bases which are then later glued to the bottom glass and just have a forest from a few species vs some hectic rock bundle with a bunch of small colonies? Plan is to use Reborn as the bottom cover which I'm using now and would nicely cover those bases and hide them as if the corals were just growing from the bottom. Would have better flow as well since colonies would be stretch far apart to prevent some mythical underwater warfare.

Was reading about micro-fragmentation where several pieces from the same colony were place near each other and those grew stronger together. Perhaps five related frags on an oversize plate.

Filtration will be handled outside the display thereby not having rocks won’t affect that.

Edit: I should have been clearer in my specific ask. Is gluing direct to the glass a smart idea? Should a large specimen bleach out that's likely a tall task to remove. Perhaps no choice but flat rocks to form the foundation which can be removed or changed as needed.

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

Reefing102

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve a thought about this recently and I think it could work, though for me it wouldn’t be a rockless system. I’d essentially have a sump of rock. The only issue would be hiding places for fish while the coral grows out unless itd be fish less too

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve a thought about this recently and I think it could work, though for me it wouldn’t be a rockless system. I’d essentially have a sump of rock. The only issue would be hiding places for fish while the coral grows out unless itd be fish less too
I’m fine with letting the corals establish before adding fish but I’ve placed large quantities of fish in bare tanks and they were just fine. Did this with two dozen Hippo Tangs and they went from hiding behind the stand pipes to all grouping in the middle and not freaking out when customers approached. Safety in numbers.

Nutramar Foods
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

GarrettT

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t recommend it, but for a coral only tank, I don’t see why not. Could be quite interesting. Fish need adequate shelter.

Not having rocks would free up much vertical space for stag horns, but limiting in terms of depth when discussing tabling type corals. Just something to think about.

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t recommend it, but for a coral only tank, I don’t see why not. Could be quite interesting. Fish need adequate shelter.

Not having rocks would free up much vertical space for stag horns, but limiting in terms of depth when discussing tabling type corals. Just something to think about.
IMG_0215.png

Seeing this by Jake Adams inspired me to consider this path. Fish wouldn’t be added until enough growth was established. The corals should then provide the necessary habitat as they do in the wild.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran my 24 x 72 frag tank with the majority being acros and LPS of various sizes and small colonies very successfully with a couple rocks and a large Marine Pure block in the sump
Pumice what I’m using now to handle filtration and what I’ll be using for my main regardless what path taken even if rocks included. One cubic foot of pumice will provide considerably more filtration capacity than same volume of rocks at a fraction of the cost and weight. Speaking strictky of external surface area. No longer sure interval structure such as in Marine Pure or Pumice stay functional longterm therefore prefer ensuring I have enough and then some plus at some point it will have fish and I plan yo feed heavily.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pumice what I’m using now to handle filtration and what I’ll be using for my main regardless what path taken even if rocks included. One cubic foot of pumice will provide considerably more filtration capacity than same volume of rocks at a fraction of the cost and weight. Speaking strictky of external surface area. No longer sure interval structure such as in Marine Pure or Pumice stay functional longterm therefore prefer ensuring I have enough and then some plus at some point it will have fish and I plan yo feed heavily.

Marinepure and pumice have been known to leach contaminants. Not a good #1 choice IMO.

GarrettT

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 3125936

Seeing this by Jake Adams inspired me to consider this path. Fish wouldn’t be added until enough growth was established. The corals should then provide the necessary habitat as they do in the wild.
Lots of shelter there. Some fish are just more sensitive than others. My copperband follows me everywhere whereas my Foxface hyperventilates lol. I would just avoid fish that are known to be overly shy.

I’ve come to notice over the years that fish tend to be more scared at what’s above rather than beside them.

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marinepure and pumice have been known to leach contaminants. Not a good #1 choice IMO.
Have never heard that about pumice and marine pure addressed that issue and showed it was a none issue. Aluminum being the suspected leaching. There’s a video with Marine Pure addressing it. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s completion who leeched the concern.

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of shelter there. Some fish are just more sensitive than others. My copperband follows me everywhere whereas my Foxface hyperventilates lol. I would just avoid fish that are known to be overly shy.

I’ve come to notice over the years that fish tend to be more scared at what’s above rather than beside them.
My experience with timid fish being it depends. Stuck a dozen hippo tangs into one bare tank and they were fine. Prior to that each tried hiding behind stand pipes being that was the only retreat. Plus my assumption being the growth should be thick enough to provide lots of shelter. I have the space for a four foot wide tank and why I’m considering this approach. Just let the corals spread vs being bunched up one on top of the other. Just not sure how gluing them to the glass might workout. My only concern.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have never heard that about pumice and marine pure addressed that issue and showed it was a none issue. Aluminum being the suspected leaching. There’s a video with Marine Pure addressing it. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s completion who leeched the concern.
How long have you been using pumice in place of liverock?

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you been using pumice in place of liverock?
Since fall 2021. Fish only experiment. Going to be sending ICP out soon. If there’s anything being leeched I’ll find out soon but not a concern. Alternative is crush coral. Go old school. Plus today’s live rock not what we used in the 80s when actually got Fuji and Tonga. Even GOM just land rock that sits in the ocean for an extended period. Remnants of the Berlin method that can no longer be duplicated unless those rocks found in someone’s garage.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
The Random Flow Generator® Nozzle by VCA
Back