+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
It seems I have an issue for the last 3 weeks. My birdnest and pocilopora are not doing so good.
The green neon birdsnest started to loose flesh 3weeks ago and this week the pocilopora seems to have bleaching tips.
Any idea where it can come from?
The only thing I could have in mind is a sudden raise of KH (from 8 to 11.5) due to a salt change (Red Sea standard to pro) over last water change.

Corals.jpg

taintstick

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I did that when I needed to lower my levels. Had them sky high and everything grew like crazy but didn't have the greatest color. Dropped the nutrients, stopped dosing and WC quickly and Monti's had a big issue with that. I dipped them and they survived. But looks like you might be too far along. Sorry bud, as suggested try to cut off good pieces but may not survive the shock.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

taintstick

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME and observance of others issues, when a coral is in this shape the flesh and polyps can still be visible, doesn't mean it isn't peeling off. I have seen flesh and polyps waving off the skeleton, doesn't mean you can bring it back to life.
As I said, and as mentioned by reef lover, try cutting it to save what can be saved. If you'd rather wait to see what happens, go for it, if it turns complete white it's dead.
Btw, I'm not denying things can come back, I've had RTN and STN happen and been able to save pieces. Good luck buddy, sorry to hear the troubles.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Sdiesel77

Sdiesel77

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KH seems now to be stable at 10. The birsdnest is not looking worst, dunno if I can say it's better. The pocilopora has all its tips bleached, hopefully it won't get worst.
I'll try to post a photo today
Thanks for asking ;)

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Sdiesel77

Sdiesel77

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing my 2 birdsnests, pocilopora, montipora slowly dying candy cane receeding I think I found out the cause of the issue: Switching to Red Sea Pro Salt. :(

2 months ago I decided to switch from Blue Red Sea salt to the Pro version, thinking it'll be better.
But actually it's creating too big KH spikes.

Last edited:

reefwiser

LMAS
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switching to a higher Alk salt is not a great idea. It can take a couple of months before corals show the effect of an alk swing. Keeping alk between 7 and 8 will always give you good results. Alk swings is perhaps the largest cause of SPS coral death.

zachtos

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have saved corals on the brink of death by cutting into multiple pieces and relocating all over the tank. I've had a few come back from one polyp even, though VERY long time. I usually try to trim dying tips, but only so so success rate.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
TCK Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Waterbox Aquariums: The Finest Aquariums
Back