Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have a clownfish that I just noticed a little white spot on her fin. Its only on the edge where the translucent part is whiteish already... Sometimes I can hardly see it and sometimes it really stands out. Not sure if its just markings or if its the beginning of ich... I have only these clowns for about two weeks. The tank is pretty new as well, about 5 weeks old. My water tested fine though and everyone is acting very normal and eating happy. I started feeding a chroma boost food recently so not sure if that could just be making colors stand out more and I'm noticing it... I also do not have a quarantine tank set up yet but was definitely going to get one soon (or very soon if this looks like it needs to be treated)

I took a screenshot of slowly moving through a video where I feel like the spot stands out the most as well as a photo from it. Any advice appreciated. Thank you!
IMG_5923.jpg

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hello! I have a clownfish that I just noticed a little white spot on her fin. Its only on the edge where the translucent part is whiteish already... Sometimes I can hardly see it and sometimes it really stands out. Not sure if its just markings or if its the beginning of ich... I have only these clowns for about two weeks. The tank is pretty new as well, about 5 weeks old. My water tested fine though and everyone is acting very normal and eating happy. I started feeding a chroma boost food recently so not sure if that could just be making colors stand out more and I'm noticing it... I also do not have a quarantine tank set up yet but was definitely going to get one soon (or very soon if this looks like it needs to be treated)

I took a screenshot of slowly moving through a video where I feel like the spot stands out the most as well as a photo from it. Any advice appreciated. Thank you!
View attachment 3012755View attachment 3012756
I would not be surprised if it were a sand grain. They have a good mucus coating which offers protection when in anemones and often a sand grain will stick to it
Take a look in the morning and you will likely see it gone
If more than that one- say so.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the spot on the fin is just a broken fin ray or other minor damage. However, below its right eye, in front of the white stripe, is a tiny white spot. That is more what Ich will look like, so keep an eye on that spot.

Jay

OP
OP
StacyMarie

StacyMarie

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the spot on the fin is just a broken fin ray or other minor damage. However, below its right eye, in front of the ****e stripe, is a tiny white spot. That is more what Ich will look like, so keep an eye on that spot.

Jay
Thank you all so much for your help! If it is ick, will more spots present themselves soon? And if I do treat would you recommend treating the other fish I have in my tank, or at least the other clown? Or just keep an eye on them while just treating the one? I currently have the two clowns, a whitespotted pygmy filefish and a watchman goby. Thanks!!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thank you all so much for your help! If it is ick, will more spots present themselves soon? And if I do treat would you recommend treating the other fish I have in my tank, or at least the other clown? Or just keep an eye on them while just treating the one? I currently have the two clowns, a whitespotted pygmy filefish and a watchman goby. Thanks!!!
If ich, you will want to assume they all have it and quarantine them in a seperate tank.
Some good meds to have on hand is:
Coppersafe (ich and velvet)
Seachem kanaplex (bacterial)
Prazi Pro (flukes and worms)
Ruby Rally Pro (broad range of conditions. . velvet, bacteria, brooklynella, more)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch for small spots that come and go, change in location and in number - that is more likely ich.

Treatment would be in a tank with no invertebrates - either coppersafe or low salinity.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
LA
Back