Sponge?

jhadaway117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed this growth on the top of my Zoas. I can’t find any sponges that resemble this so wanted to know what you guys thought? These pics are through an orange lense if that makes a difference.
IMG_9252.jpeg
IMG_9255.jpeg

ThisIsTheWay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The circled part below definitely looks like some type of sponge though it's hard to tell for sure.
I've seen some dark/blue/grey sponges before so it's quite possible.
IMG_9252.jpeg

OP
OP
J

jhadaway117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The circled part below definitely looks like some type of sponge though it's hard to tell for sure.
I've seen some dark/blue/grey sponges before so it's quite possible.
IMG_9252.jpeg
That’s actually just part of the rock they’re on. I was talking about the stuff to the back left of it. It’s kind of like a greenish brown rubbery growth of some kind. Sorry I should have circled it.

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s actually just part of the rock they’re on. I was talking about the stuff to the back left of it. It’s kind of like a greenish brown rubbery growth of some kind. Sorry I should have circled it.
I would take a photo of it under white light without the orange filter and circle the stuff in question, then post back here with that image.

OP
OP
J

jhadaway117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take a photo of it under white light without the orange filter and circle the stuff in question, then post back here with that image.
Here’s a pic under a flashlight at night. I didn’t realize these were white until now. What do you think? IMG_9271.jpeg IMG_9270.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a pic under a flashlight at night. I didn’t realize these were white until now. What do you think? IMG_9271.jpeg IMG_9270.jpeg
It might be a sponge, but texturally it looks odd to me.

As has been asked, how does it feel? Is it soft/squishy or hard/solid? If so, could you scrape/cut a small portion off and look at it under a microscope?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back