+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

i have a problem with no3 (28.5) and was wondering if not cleaning the sponge filters in the sump could relate to it being high. I use the sponge filters in the sump to help with slowing down flow from chamber to chamber. Is it best if i just throw away those sponges? I was just worried that throwing the sponges away might cause an imbalance in my tank. Kinda dont want them there too so i didnt want to hassle to rinse then out either.
Thank you!

AquaCave Logo Banner

MBruun

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An uncleaned sponge filter will host a lot of bacteria. These bacteria generates a lot of NO3 breaking down organic material accumulating in the sponge. If you want to keep your sponges you could clean them like one would do with filtersocks

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
H

howietumba

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a filter roller already and no need for filter socks. I just use those sponges for slowing flow in sump. Would me just removing them all together cause an imbalance in parameters in sump?

OP
OP
H

howietumba

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is capturing a lot of detristis and such, I would assume it could cause issues. I had issues in the past of the foam between my baffle on my RS525XL clogging up so I just took it out.
When you took it out did you see an imbalance in the tank? Im scared because im sure there are beneficial bacteria in the sponge too.

Midrats

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should sell it as a "nitrate factory" marketed toward those that have to dose nitrate. With all the nitrate dosing these days, I'm surprised bio balls haven't made a come back yet. As for taking out the sponge, you will be fine, unless it is the sole bio filter in the tank.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
H

howietumba

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should sell it as a "nitrate factory" marketed toward those that have to dose nitrate. With all the nitrate dosing these days, I'm surprised bio balls haven't made a come back yet. As for taking out the sponge, you will be fine, unless it is the sole bio filter in the tank.
lol thank you! Well i have 2 bio media bricks in the sump as well. So im assuming its causing more harm than good then. Tossing those stuff today. Thank you!

OP
OP
H

howietumba

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are really worried, remove half of the sponges.
I don’t think sponges are slowing down flow in the sump, return pump flow and overflow are dictating flow rate in a sump.
It kinda is slowing it down from one chamber to another. But yeah the sponge looks nasty and is covered up in brown stuff. But i have alot of copepods living in there too lol thats why i was worried id be taking out beneficial stuff with the sponges.

Nutramar Foods

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you took it out did you see an imbalance in the tank? Im scared because im sure there are beneficial bacteria in the sponge too.
I had to mess with my valve from the tank a bit, but never had an issue after that.

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a sponge for my aquaclear 110 hob seeding in my sump for QT or emergency setup but it is not in flow so it stays free of detritus and algae. I tried the black sponges between baffles and found them as big a pita as the foam powerhead covers to keep clean. I assume you also have rock in your DT in addition to the blocks in the sump so I can't imaging removing it would really cause an issue.

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It kinda is slowing it down from one chamber to another. But yeah the sponge looks nasty and is covered up in brown stuff. But i have alot of copepods living in there too lol thats why i was worried id be taking out beneficial stuff with the sponges. I use to host pods in my sump:
I use Aquamesh to host pods in my sump.

CLICK TO VIEW

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol thank you! Well i have 2 bio media bricks in the sump as well. So im assuming its causing more harm than good then. Tossing those stuff today. Thank you!
Getting rid of all of it at once may cause a slight ammonia spike. Go slow. Maybe remove half and the problems balance out?

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are really worried, remove half of the sponges.
I don’t think sponges are slowing down flow in the sump, return pump flow and overflow are dictating flow rate in a sump.
No it does a bit, they are normally "Silencer" sponges to keep water from splashing over baffles. However they do get clogged up and can cause water to overflow over the baffle.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
H

howietumba

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a sponge for my aquaclear 110 hob seeding in my sump for QT or emergency setup but it is not in flow so it stays free of detritus and algae. I tried the black sponges between baffles and found them as big a pita as the foam powerhead covers to keep clean. I assume you also have rock in your DT in addition to the blocks in the sump so I can't imaging removing it would really cause an issue.
No rocks in my sump. Just those bricks.

AS
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Torch SALE
Back