Spilled way too much Nitrate dosing in My tank!

BRS

UkiahTheTurtle

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I accidentally spilled some nitrate in my tank and I tested it and it reads around 80ppm! No fish in my tank at the moment only snails and coral but some of the corals look really annoyed while others don’t what should I do should I do a water change even if the corals don’t look that bad?

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
UkiahTheTurtle

UkiahTheTurtle

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So change 10 gallons. Then you will have 40ppm. Do another WC in a few days.
The odd thing is the corals got ticked off for a second and are now just reopening like it’s no big deal even my SPS look fine and the never got annoyed in the first place and my Favia coral just wants to eat it feeder tentacles are out. Don’t get me wrong I am going to do a water change it’s just odd all my corals are acting quite normal.

Nutramar Foods

Dine

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The odd thing is the corals got ticked off for a second and are now just reopening like it’s no big deal even my SPS look fine and the never got annoyed in the first place and my Favia coral just wants to eat it feeder tentacles are out. Don’t get me wrong I am going to do a water change it’s just odd all my corals are acting quite normal.
If there is going to be any negative reaction I would expect it to be delayed. There may be none as the main issue with high nitrates and coral as I understand it is lack of growth however there are many tanks running nitrates in your range and still succeeding. There are worse things to have spilled in your tank but getting them down to <10 would be my goal.

OP
OP
UkiahTheTurtle

UkiahTheTurtle

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is going to be any negative reaction I would expect it to be delayed. There may be none as the main issue with high nitrates and coral as I understand it is lack of growth however there are many tanks running nitrates in your range and still succeeding. There are worse things to have spilled in your tank but getting them down to <10 would be my goal.
Thanks for the input my tank does normally read quite high on nitrate anyway lately so I do think they will be fine after a water change but I was worried when a few of my corals shriveled up.

AquaCave Logo Banner

LadAShark

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a 20 gal tank I'd just do a 75% water change to bring the Nitrate down by 75%.

SPS Corals wont let you know they're mad for a month or two, so just bite bullet now.
Dramatic water changes too can cause big problems with sps. It's hard to rebalance everything perfectly.

My answer would be: if his tank consumes nitrates quickly enough, do nothing, or maybe a small water change. Nitrates aren't that bad really. Sps can thrive even up to 100 ppm. WWC recommends 20-25 for best coloration. Of course conditions differ from tank to tank, but I think that given his corals seem okay, it may be fine to wait it out.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dramatic water changes too can cause big problems with sps. It's hard to rebalance everything perfectly.

My answer would be: if his tank consumes nitrates quickly enough, do nothing, or maybe a small water change. Nitrates aren't that bad really. Sps can thrive even up to 100 ppm. WWC recommends 20-25 for best coloration. Of course conditions differ from tank to tank, but I think that given his corals seem okay, it may be fine to wait it out.

Well, the tank has gone from low to high Nitrate in a very short period of time.

That is very stressful for SPS and acropora in particular.
The way to minimise the stress is to get Nitrate back down to where it was fast enough so that the coral, who have a slow metabolism, don't have time to react.

I can almost guarantee that if not promptly corrected, the coral will react badly - which will show up in weeks to months from now.

Waiting it out is not something I would recommend.

Top Shelf Aquatics

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon dosing will take far too long to achieve any noticeable reduction in Nitrate.
That has not been my experience and slow is good. I've taken nitrates from 80 to 10 in less than a week although my system was already accustomed to carbon dosing, has a large biological media and was heavily aerated during the overdosing. Dosed 4 mils to 16 gallons. Water got cloudy for about a day in the half. Have done this several times in my test tank and I don't run a skimmer. Not suggesting to run my aggressive approach and just illustrating that carbon dosing can be very effective at quickly dropping nitrates.

Cutting the dose to half seems to work just as effectively but takes a little longer. Each tank is different and why best start carbon dosing at half recommended and increased as conditions permit but it will reduce nitrates and not as adverse as a large WC which could cause osmotic shock depending on how close that new water is to old. Nothing good happens fast.

Perhaps a 30% WC followed by carbon dosing could be an effective approach since not everyone can quickly accumulate a large volume of water and just suggesting an alternative that has worked for me.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps a 30% WC followed by carbon dosing could be an effective approach since not everyone can quickly accumulate a large volume of water and just suggesting an alternative that has worked for me.

Perhaps you haven't read the thread, but it's only a 20 gal tank.

That is why I suggested a large water change to get Nitrates down fast.

On anything larger than a 40 I'd have suggested other methods, perhaps including carbon dosing.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps you haven't read the thread, but it's only a 20 gal tank.

That is why I suggested a large water change to get Nitrates down fast.

On anything larger than a 40 I'd have suggested other methods, perhaps including carbon dosing.
Don’t assume I haven’t read. Suggesting I haven’t is rude.

Mantra is large changes cause issues and why I’m not a supporter of large changes. Plus why change everything when the only issue is nitrates? One of the few mantas I tend to agree with.

I’m merely proposing an alternative and not defining a must approach. Best all have knowledge and think for themselves because all tanks are different. All have different resources. No one step works for all and I’ve actually dropped nitrates quickly and why I suggested it. Large WCs seem to be the mantra since I was a kid in the 70s. Didn’t make sense then when I knew a lot less than I do now.

BTW, my suggestion based on what I’ve done with 16 gallons of water. Very inline with that 20g tank.

LadAShark

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the tank has gone from low to high Nitrate in a very short period of time.

That is very stressful for SPS and acropora in particular.
The way to minimise the stress is to get Nitrate back down to where it was fast enough so that the coral, who have a slow metabolism, don't have time to react.

I can almost guarantee that if not promptly corrected, the coral will react badly - which will show up in weeks to months from now.

Waiting it out is not something I would recommend.
A 75% water change is two big changes at once. Just because you're reversing one big change doesn't mean it's canceling out.

I agree with @GARRIGA, carbon dosing is a better way to bring it down. You can dose a lot more aggressively than many people think, just you have to make sure not to bottom out phosphates in the process. Water changes involve changing out large fractions of dissolved contents in reefs which lead to dramatic shifts to microbiomes. There is evidence that that itself can lead to stn or rtn, especially since it has been shown it allows some pathogenic bacteria like vibrio to bloom.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 75% water change is two big changes at once. Just because you're reversing one big change doesn't mean it's canceling out.

I agree with @GARRIGA, carbon dosing is a better way to bring it down. You can dose a lot more aggressively than many people think, just you have to make sure not to bottom out phosphates in the process. Water changes involve changing out large fractions of dissolved contents in reefs which lead to dramatic shifts to microbiomes. There is evidence that that itself can lead to stn or rtn, especially since it has been shown it allows some pathogenic bacteria like vibrio to bloom.
When I first tried lowering my nitrates post cycle had to add phosphates before that started dropping. Now there’s naturally enough phosphates that I don’t need to concern myself with that. I grasp the Redfield ratio may not apply to aquariums but so believe based on that experience that both must be present to lower either. At least I know that’s the case with phosphates required to lower nitrates.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

NY
Back