Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Can anyone help me identify this new growth? They're like green spots with tubes and all over my rock throughout the tank. It's pretty cool looking, but I don't know if it's a good or bad sign or if it's healthy to keep. I have posted a couple of pics. Thank you in advance!

20230403_144947.jpg 20230403_145123.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi! Can anyone help me identify this new growth? They're like green spots with tubes and all over my rock throughout the tank. It's pretty cool looking, but I don't know if it's a good or bad sign or if it's healthy to keep. I have posted a couple of pics. Thank you in advance!

View attachment 3094527 View attachment 3094532
They are filter feeding sponges and will continue to spread. They are harmless and stationary

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So, they're good to have? Where did they suddenly come from? I haven't added anything to our tank in well over 6 months.
Generally hitchhiker on live rock which favors low light and low flow areas

Upvote 0

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are filter feeding sponges and will continue to spread. They are harmless and stationary
I have one of these, my guess was sponge as well. To those saying they are harmless, could they still irritate a coral due to proximity? I have one growing on my elegance skeleton, and I think it has gotten big enough to touch the flesh of the coral. . .

Upvote 0

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of these, my guess was sponge as well. To those saying they are harmless, could they still irritate a coral due to proximity? I have one growing on my elegance skeleton, and I think it has gotten big enough to touch the flesh of the coral. . .
A very select few sponges could irritate corals due to toxins they produce (these sponges compete chemically with corals), but very few sponges seem to do this. Most sponges will happily grow along the skeleton/base of corals without bothering the corals or trying to grow over them at all (sponges generally are so harmless that even the more invasive ones can generally literally grow over the top of corals, and - as long as the coral is getting enough light still - they don't harm the corals at all even when growing over them).

So, as long as you didn't lose the sponge lottery and end up with something like Terpios hoshinota in your tank, the sponges shouldn't hurt your corals at all.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
They can spread and take over a coral in time if thats what youre wondering. I have removed sponge off my elegance as I want nothing on its wall. I have one recently discovered tunicate I found over the weekend allowed but generally remove sponges as I find them as they get too close to my coral

Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Dr. Reefs Quarantined Fish
Back