Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do apologize for the multiple threads. But something is happening in my tank, and i want to get to the bottom of it. My tank is 2 months old. Its 36 gallons display and 18 gallon sump.

Its cycled, & i have 5 fish in there. 1 blenny, 2 clowns, 1 jawfish, and 1 royal gamma.

I have couple of corals in there. I have 2 zoas. I have a duncan, i have a leather, hammer, and frogspawn + button scolly, and candy cane.

Im facing issues with my corals. For example the candy cane is at the bottom it deflates and inflates during the day randomly. Either it looks okay or it looks almost dead. For no reason.

My hammer used to extend way more than that now it extendes in the morning and during the day it starts closing up not fully. Ill attach pictures below.

My duncan i noticed today in the afternoon it closed all the way up. Any idea why?

My lights are the radion g5 1 set. Xr15 running at 65% intensity from 8-6 ram up and down. Ab + profile. I rented a par meter previously and all the results were in range.

My phosphate and nitrate recently have been at 0. I ordered bright aquatics phosphate, and nitrate. Coming tomorrow.

Iv been feeding AB+ everh couple of days just dropping 6ml in the water everg other night.

I have my 2 nero 3 wave makers running at 20% with 4-5 different profiles to make a simulation of waves. What am i doing wrong?

My water is as following

Temp 77F
Calcium is 450.
Alk is 7.5
Phosphate 0.1
Nitrate 0

I use hanna checker for phosphate, nitrate, and salifret for calcium.

Tropic marin is my salt.

20221108_160233.jpg 78c1df58-c804-4b32-868b-66a30a9c4f13.jpg 20221108_141353.jpg

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phosphate and nitrate recently have been at 0. I ordered bright aquatics phosphate, and nitrate. Coming tomorrow.
No expert here but I think you gotta see what this does. Then you've at least covered your bases and can ask what now

zdrc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the size and time of last water change?

It could just be the low nitrate/phosphate, which you've already started to fix. I would wait to try anything else until you've dosed up properly.

The candy cane doesn't look nearly dead, just deflated, which isn't that unusual.

What's your pH? I've noticed that my pH has started to drop now that it's winter and the CO2 levels indoors are increasing.

How is the leather doing? Are you running any carbon? If so, what was the last time you changed it?

I've had my duncan close up for a month and still survive. I never really figured out why it did that.

Nutramar Foods

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ZERO phosphate/nitrate would be my vote for first thing to deal with (which sounds like you already have that in motion)
Agreed coupled with the fact his tank is only 2 months old and lacks biodiversity.

OP if you have leather coral then you need to run carbon. They release turpenes into the water as a defensive mechanism and this irritates other corals.

OP
OP
charbel101

charbel101

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed coupled with the fact his tank is only 2 months old and lacks biodiversity.

OP if you have leather coral then you need to run carbon. They release turpenes into the water as a defensive mechanism and this irritates other corals.
Yes i have 1 small leather

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
charbel101

charbel101

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What carbon do i need i know nothing about that. A bag of carbon in my sump or jow what brand

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What carbon do i need i know nothing about that. A bag of carbon in my sump or jow what brand
Just a bag of high grade reef spec carbon like Red Sea brand. Changed out every 2 or 3 weeks. Make sure your rinse it good with RODI before adding to sump in high flow area.

Nate Chalk

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do apologize for the multiple threads. But something is happening in my tank, and i want to get to the bottom of it. My tank is 2 months old. Its 36 gallons display and 18 gallon sump.

Its cycled, & i have 5 fish in there. 1 blenny, 2 clowns, 1 jawfish, and 1 royal gamma.

I have couple of corals in there. I have 2 zoas. I have a duncan, i have a leather, hammer, and frogspawn + button scolly, and candy cane.

Im facing issues with my corals. For example the candy cane is at the bottom it deflates and inflates during the day randomly. Either it looks okay or it looks almost dead. For no reason.

My hammer used to extend way more than that now it extendes in the morning and during the day it starts closing up not fully. Ill attach pictures below.

My duncan i noticed today in the afternoon it closed all the way up. Any idea why?

My lights are the radion g5 1 set. Xr15 running at 65% intensity from 8-6 ram up and down. Ab + profile. I rented a par meter previously and all the results were in range.

Iv been feeding AB+ everh couple of days just dropping 6ml in the water everg other night.

I have my 2 nero 3 wave makers running at 20% with 4-5 different profiles to make a simulation of waves. What am i doing wrong?

My water is as following

Temp 77F
Calcium is 450.
Alk is 7.5
Phosphate 0.1
Nitrate 0

Tropic marin is my salt.

View attachment 2892553 View attachment 2892554 View attachment 2892555

Phosphate 0.1
Nitrate 0

This is bad. You want 5+ nitrate I would even say 15.
I am going through the same , bottomed out nutrients welcome dinos, cyano and worse yet starve your corals.

Using brightwell neophos and neonitrate to boost mine currently.

OP
OP
charbel101

charbel101

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate 0.1
Nitrate 0

This is bad. You want 5+ nitrate I would even say 15.
I am going through the same , bottomed out nutrients welcome dinos, cyano and worse yet starve your corals.

Using brightwell neophos and neonitrate to boost mine currently.
Okay since you use neophos and neonitrate. How fast does it bring yhe nutrients up?

Nate Chalk

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay since you use neophos and neonitrate. How fast does it bring yhe nutrients up?
Says on the bottle. Get the big jug. You'll need probably all of it overtime to get your reef in the right direction I'm half through the 2l

OP
OP
charbel101

charbel101

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Says on the bottle. Get the big jug. You'll need probably all of it overtime to get your reef in the right direction I'm half through the 2l
I know it says on the bottle. Im just asking whats your experience with it from day q you dosed it how long it took for your nutrients to go up and how often do you dose.

Nutramar Foods

Nate Chalk

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it says on the bottle. Im just asking whats your experience with it from day q you dosed it how long it took for your nutrients to go up and how often do you dose.
First couple you gotta test and redose back up quick.

2 weeks in it's stable

Uncle99

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll need to dose, then measure, repeat daily,until level stabilizes. Then, over a week, see what the level trends towards.

Each tanks use would vary, so you need to find what your system can do (within standard levels).

I’ve run 7ppm nitrate and .1ppm phosphate for 5 years.
Does not rise, does not fall. Took maybe a month or so to reach those numbers, now, dose neither.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
charbel101

charbel101

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll need to dose, then measure, repeat daily,until level stabilizes. Then, over a week, see what the level trends towards.

Each tanks use would vary, so you need to find what your system can do (within standard levels).

I’ve run 7ppm nitrate and .1ppm phosphate for 5 years.
Does not rise, does not fall. Took maybe a month or so to reach those numbers, now, dose neither.
So i need to keep dosing till i see my numbers are up and then stop dosing?

Nate Chalk

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i need to keep dosing till i see my numbers are up and then stop dosing?
Dose, see numbers up, continue testing, and decide then.

In the beginning you will need to do every single day test, dose to value wanted.

eventually it should even out and become more stable... meaning you can test every three days, and eventually once a week.

Ive bottomed out phos phate twice in 2 weeks on accident. Corals looking bad is a good indicator something is wrong.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

EricR

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All tanks are different but just my, personal, experience with NeoPhos:
If I dosed and tested an hour later, PO4 rose by the expected amount but...
Next day I'd be back to 0.00 ppm so I've been having to dose more than I had anticipated to maintain residual desired levels.

So I'd say test daily at first until you find the amount that maintains the level you want then you can slow down on testing.

freepizza80

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My water is as following

Temp 77F
Calcium is 450.
Alk is 7.5
Phosphate 0.1
Nitrate 0

Tropic marin is my salt.

View attachment 2892553 View attachment 2892554 View attachment 2892555
I don't thing you need to take any extreme steps. It's a new tank so just do your water changes along with AB+ and wait. Dosing nitrates or phosphates may get you in more trouble. Make sure your alkalinity is staying stable.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AquaCave Logo Banner
Back