Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I currently have three (maybe 4) bubble tips in my tank.
IMG_1702.jpeg
IMG_1704.jpeg
IMG_1703.jpeg

( right after it grabbed a chunk of food)

First, when they split, do they split evenly?I ask this because the nems in the first two pics split off from each other and clearly the one is tiny compared to the other. I’m not sure if the one is just small or unhappy and refuses to move for some reason.

Second what kind of light do they actually like?
Despite everything I’ve read about them loving super high lighting, my nems seem to pick the bottom of my tank or the shade to plop themselves into. I even tried moving the one that spit into a spot that was a bit brighter. It was soon on the side of the rockwork out of direct lighting.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your lights are bright, they’ll move to wherever they’re happiest. They know what they need and trust me, they’ll walk over anything to get there. Have you taken any par measurements?

also, when they split, they don’t always split evenly. I have one huge RBTA that split off a much smaller one. They also do spawn and have babies but those are usually really tiny.

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your lights are bright, they’ll move to wherever they’re happiest. They know what they need and trust me, they’ll walk over anything to get there. Have you taken any par measurements?

also, when they split, they don’t always split evenly. I have one huge RBTA that split off a much smaller one. They also do spawn and have babies but those are usually really tiny.
Its been a while since I’ve tested par but I don’t recall anywhere on the rock work that has 200+ par

AquaCave Logo Banner

C_AWOL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Splits won't always be the same size.
As far as light loving, I think that mainly depends entirely on the individual bubble anemone. I've had splits find happy areas in completely different locations than the original both in areas of higher and lower par provided the flow wasn't too extreme in the new area + it found a suitable area that covered the foot really well.

Roli's Reef Ranch

Review score
+1 /0 /-1
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-1
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I currently have three (maybe 4) bubble tips in my tank.
View attachment 3108068View attachment 3108069View attachment 3108070
( right after it grabbed a chunk of food)

First, when they split, do they split evenly?I ask this because the nems in the first two pics split off from each other and clearly the one is tiny compared to the other. I’m not sure if the one is just small or unhappy and refuses to move for some reason.

Second what kind of light do they actually like?
Despite everything I’ve read about them loving super high lighting, my nems seem to pick the bottom of my tank or the shade to plop themselves into. I even tried moving the one that spit into a spot that was a bit brighter. It was soon on the side of the rockwork out of direct lighting.
Some anemones may split into two roughly equal halves, while others may produce one larger and one smaller anemone. The size of the resulting anemones may also depend on various factors such as the parent's health, the availability of nutrients, and environmental conditions.

As for lighting, bubble tip anemones are known to prefer moderate to high lighting. However, it's important to keep in mind that every anemone has different preferences and may behave differently depending on their environment. Some anemones may move around to find a spot with their preferred lighting, while others may stay in a spot that is not directly under high lighting.

If your anemones seem to be avoiding direct lighting, it could be a sign that they are not getting the right type or intensity of light. It's important to ensure that your aquarium lighting is suitable for the type of anemone you have, and that it is positioned at the right distance and angle to provide adequate coverage.

It's also worth noting that bubble tip anemones can be sensitive to changes in lighting, and sudden changes in intensity or spectrum can stress or damage them. It's best to make gradual adjustments to your lighting to avoid shocking your anemones.

AquaCave Logo Banner

jp415

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTA does not want bright light like Magnifica, Haddoni and Gigantea.
What par levels so you recommend for BTAs? Do they like whites or more blues.

I seem to have some nems but they don't look as well as they did before. Their tentacles use to stretch but seem to be more receded now.

I have them around 250 - 300 par at the top and at the bottom around 100 par. 12 hour schedule 7 hours full intensity and and 5 hour for viewing.

Attached a before and after photo of the nem tank the present photo one is the one with more leather corals.

20230415_130211.jpg 20230211_135501.jpg

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Top Shelf Aquatics
Back