Solo Frag rack for plating coral on back wall?

PaulieReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some space I wanted to put a few plating coral, anyone know a good product to do so? Everyone I found like the rock frag racks have horrible review, and I never had success gluing coral to the backwall, they would always fall off after a few weeks/months.

Tips and tricks welcome!

1676645748880.png

Nutramar Foods

90's reefer

Fight the Good Fight
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze nano rock works well.
I made a few myself out of old magnets.

You could make a small magnetic frag holder and then let it encrust on the glass.

Yea getting it to stick to glass is hit or miss sometimes. Out of 4 I did on my 120 only 1 encrusted on the glass fast enough to stay in place.

I put them on the overflow as plastic sticks better than glass.

They also will stick better if your glass is covered in coralline.

BRS

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option : )

This is actually really cool! I'm curious though as I just watched all the videos, I'm assuming the lattice is held in place with an inner an outer magnet? Your videos do not show the magnets.

If I ever start a new tank, this is 100% going in. Love it, it's a great way to get corals to grow on the back wall, and even greater way to use up that wasted space.

srobertb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to Tunze nano rock. The back of the magnet is water proof too (gosh I hope so as it’s been wet for years). As stated, it isn’t going to really stick to the glass but it will give the appearance of it.

This is 3 months of growth (this coral was recently moved) so it’s not as impressive but I think is proof of concept. Temporary tank so obligatory excuse the glass/lighting/etc

image.jpg

World Wide Corals

ReefEco

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually really cool! I'm curious though as I just watched all the videos, I'm assuming the lattice is held in place with an inner an outer magnet? Your videos do not show the magnets.

If I ever start a new tank, this is 100% going in. Love it, it's a great way to get corals to grow on the back wall, and even greater way to use up that wasted space.
Hey @homer1475, yes - the lattice posts have integrated magnets, which are held on with magnets on the outside of the tank (or you can also place the mated magnets on the inside of an overflow, for example, and the posts rest on the bottom of the aquarium. The magnets are in the video but may be hard to see, I just didn't glue on the covers (our magnets are really strong, and thus not cheap - so didn't install them in the posts for the video).

19Mateo83

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use amazon magnets encapsulated in acrylic. Easy and cheap DIY if you are the handy type.
You can see them in use in this video

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back