Soda ash crystaling while mixing with rodi water?

BRS

tjs1200

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says my BRS soda ash is crystaling while mixing with rodi water, not all of it, there are several hard crystals that form during the mixing. I mix it slow and stir as i am adding the soda ash, I have my own RODI unit and recently change the filters. I use an Immersion Blender to break up the crystals, I don't remember this happening before could it be that the water is cold?

Top Shelf Aquatics

DeeBee

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using BRS Soda Ash for many years, and what I have received lately is a completely different consistency and is not mixing well regardless of the water temp.

I opened a bag I received in December and it was very fluffy and clumpy, very much like sodium bicarbonate. When I attempted to mix it (slowly like always) it formed large chunks of crystals in the botttom and would not fully dissolve no matter how long I mixed and let it sit.

I called BRS and had a replacement bag sent that I attempted to mix today. It was far less "fluffy" but still not as dry looking as what I am used to. It also formed chunks of crystals (far less than last time) but this time eventually did dissolve with vigilante mixing.

Something is drastically different. Unfortunately I don't see lot numbers on their bags to see if it was a certain batch that has issues or if they changed their formulation. Any opinions on this @Bulk Reef Supply ?

OP
OP
T

tjs1200

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using BRS Soda Ash for many years, and what I have received lately is a completely different consistency and is not mixing well regardless of the water temp.

I opened a bag I received in December and it was very fluffy and clumpy, very much like sodium bicarbonate. When I attempted to mix it (slowly like always) it formed large chunks of crystals in the botttom and would not fully dissolve no matter how long I mixed and let it sit.

I called BRS and had a replacement bag sent that I attempted to mix today. It was far less "fluffy" but still not as dry looking as what I am used to. It also formed chunks of crystals (far less than last time) but this time eventually did dissolve with vigilante mixing.

Something is drastically different. Unfortunately I don't see lot numbers on their bags to see if it was a certain batch that has issues or if they changed their formulation. Any opinions on this @Bulk Reef Supply ?
Thank you it's good to know I'm not the only one with this issue I'm going give them a call tomorrow.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heat it up a lot to dissolve it. Assuming the container can take the heat, you can put the container in a tub of boiling water. :)

AS
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Printed Reef - Custom Reef Accessories
Back