Snails have algae on shells, help please.

ChilledReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have a red sea nano max 20 gal and have some snails as the clean up crew. Tank has been up for about a month and all the levels are good. The only thing is the snails now all have green algae growing on their shells. The lights are set to a red sea schedule that goes for like 10 hours but ramps up and down based on the settings.

Should I be concerned about this or do I need to look at reducing the time the lights are on to get rid of it. I also thought about just pulling the snails out and using a toothbrush to get rid of it to see if that solves the issue.

Thanks for any help,

Nutramar Foods

thomas_neil

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have a red sea nano max 20 gal and have some snails as the clean up crew. Tank has been up for about a month and all the levels are good. The only thing is the snails now all have green algae growing on their shells. The lights are set to a red sea schedule that goes for like 10 hours but ramps up and down based on the settings.

Should I be concerned about this or do I need to look at reducing the time the lights are on to get rid of it. I also thought about just pulling the snails out and using a toothbrush to get rid of it to see if that solves the issue.

Thanks for any help,
Algae is fine as long as it's not a nuisance Aglae that they will spread around the tank.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Kinetics
Back