Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a local macro algae here in florida. Wild caught. And one of the hitchhikers looks like a snail. But has 3 appendages that seem to be a defense system. flare orange when disturbed and can also use them to flip itself over. The snail is green. Green shell with blue dots. I’m at a complete loss as to what it could be. Any ideas?

IMG_3597.png IMG_3192.jpeg

BRS

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a juliidae?
Pretty close taxonomically (same super family, but a different family); this looks to be a Lobiger sp. that’s missing one of its four “arms” (I’m not at my computer or I might be able to to ID the species).

It’s a Sacoglossan Slug, OP - an algae eater.

The two species I’ve seen diets for (I haven’t looked in depth at these guys yet) suggest that they eat feed on Caulerpa (one specifically C. racemosa). I don’t know if they need their specific algae species to survive, or if it’s just a strong preference like with Elysia spp., which from what I’ve heard will feed on most green algae species in our aquariums.

You’re right about appendages being defense mechanisms - they unfold/unfurl to show off that orange color and make the slug look bigger, and - if they feel threatened enough - the appendages (tentacles) can secrete a sticky substance, detach from the slug (autotomize), and writhe around for while to distract and slow down predators.

Edit: Overall, a super cool find.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AquaCave Logo Banner
Back