Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Just salsas my snails spawning for the first time, and it was weirdly interesting to see. One began, and then the rest seemed to start.

Does anyone know what triggers or, or just any more information on spawning events? Always Interested to learn more about the critters I have.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Just salsas my snails spawning for the first time, and it was weirdly interesting to see. One began, and then the rest seemed to start.

Does anyone know what triggers or, or just any more information on spawning events? Always Interested to learn more about the critters I have.

Neat video!!

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, not a whole lot is known about snail spawning/aquaculture at this point that I've been able to find (a handful of species - typically commercially important ones - have been bred, but that's about it), but for some species (such as Queen Conches) it's a seasonal thing (likely related to temperature, phytoplankton population densities, and weather conditions such as storms or wet/dry season changes, but possibly things like light duration and intensity as well), and for others (such as some Nassarius spp.) it seems to be diet and maturity related more than anything.

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, not a whole lot is known about snail spawning/aquaculture at this point that I've been able to find (a handful of species - typically commercially important ones - have been bred, but that's about it), but for some species (such as Queen Conches) it's a seasonal thing (likely related to temperature, phytoplankton population densities, and weather conditions such as storms or wet/dry season changes, but possibly things like light duration and intensity as well), and for others (such as some Nassarius spp.) it seems to be diet and maturity related more than anything.
It's a shame that we don't know more! I felt lucky to see it. Most people would find it gross but it's so fascinating, I get to witness a part of nature you would not usually see and that blows my mind!

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back