Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I woke up this morning to a pump running dry, I was a little disoriented at first, But then I quickly realized it was a snail in the overflow, Question is how do I build a emergency? I only have 2 Holes in my tank.

20190930_055116.jpg

AS

SandJ

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh! You never want to wake up and the first thing out of your mouth is what is that sound o_O
It may be possible to turn your return line into an overflow, and then run you return line up the back and over the top of the tank.

You can also put a strainer on the overflow inlet to keep fish and snails out. Just check it periodically to make sure it is not clogged.

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I started to syphon out water, lol I fell asleep on couch, luckily only about a half gallon hit the floor
That was lucky! Usually these things happen just as you leave the house.
I agree with others that using the plumbed return as an emergency overflow and running an over the back return is probably the easiest fix.

OP
OP
MichaelP121579

MichaelP121579

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That was lucky! Usually these things happen just as you leave the house.
I agree with others that using the plumbed return as an emergency overflow and running an over the back return is probably the easiest fix.
Sadly I just sold my new overflow

Corals.com

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh! You never want to wait up and the first thing out of your mouth is what is that sound o_O
It may be possible to turn your return line into an overflow, and then run you return line up the back and over the top of the tank.

You can also put a strainer on the overflow inlet to keep fish and snails out. Just check it periodically to make sure it is not clogged.
This is about the only way it will work with just 2 holes in the overflow.
Doing a herbie drain is a pretty common way.
Add a valve to the main drain ( larger ) and use the smaller one as the emergency drain.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I agree with @mfinn and @SandJ said. I did want to add anytime you only have 1 drain never put a restriction on it. As you saw it only takes a snail to gum up the works. A strainer has a possibility to clog from algae and other things.

Homelander

I'm Homelander, I can do whatever I want.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above. Did the same thing on my 75 gallon. Overflow had two holes. Made it herbie style one primary siphon and one emergency overflow, then used silicone tubing to a over the top return. After a few overflow scares I was much happier with the Herbie setup :)

CLICK TO VIEW

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Strainer on main siphon drain.
2. Setup a herbie overflow system... this will require you to run your return over the top rim. This is how i set mine up so i had an emergency drain line.

Barnabie Mejia

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unfortunately for you, your tank is already up and running, I think the best bet is to do the over the rim returm and set up the Herbie. its always good to have an emergency overflow for your tank. And make sure to get a strainer on it to keep those darn snails from clogging up the drain again! I have a few in my 29g and the keep climbing on my optical sensor for the ATO and cause alarms to go off! getting kind of fed up with them.

On our 75g I drilled two 1.5" holes for the overflow box from Modular Marine (really nice box BTW) and then I drilled a 3/4" hole for the return. in the overflow box I will be running the bean animal set up because I don't want any chance of water hitting the floor. What I especially like about the MM overflow box is the exterior box is the same height as the internal box , and that prevents the box from ever overflowing during a power outage.

Good luck getting everything figured out!

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

A Reef Creation
Back