Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been noticing some small white circles appearing on the tank glass - none at the front or ends, just at the back, and now one in the sump. I though they might be some sort of mineral deposits but from the one in the sump now I’m not sure - is this a limpet/barnacle of some description?

They’re about 1/16” to 1/8” across, have maybe 8-10 of them in various locations, have not noticed them shifting locations.

Photo is looking through the glass. Apologies for poor quality - using phone and testing the limits of its auto focus and zoom…

C75C2F25-5C68-438E-987F-BE32F662615C.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
P

PotatoPig

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly spirorbis or tube worms! Both harmless.

*google* hmmm. Both look possible at this stage.

It’s amazing how much hitch hikes in on so little.

Tank started from dry rock and fish. No live rock added. The only things I’ve intentionally added apart from fish are a three hermit crabs, two astraea snails and two bumble bee snails.

So far I’ve seen:

Mystery little worms on glass. Put one under the microscope and 70% sure they’re dorvilleidae worms.

Mystery pods. Small - similar to Tisbe.

Bristleworm in discarded hermit crab shell.

Aiptasia (small) on the same discarded hermit crab shell. (Fished it out with the worm also - haven’t seen either since).

And now these things.

Top Shelf Aquatics

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been noticing some small white circles appearing on the tank glass - none at the front or ends, just at the back, and now one in the sump. I though they might be some sort of mineral deposits but from the one in the sump now I’m not sure - is this a limpet/barnacle of some description?

They’re about 1/16” to 1/8” across, have maybe 8-10 of them in various locations, have not noticed them shifting locations.

Photo is looking through the glass. Apologies for poor quality - using phone and testing the limits of its auto focus and zoom…

View attachment 3056617

hmfaysal

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bet is on spirorbid worms. These are filter feeders and generally increase in population when there is excess food in the water column. Although these are harmless, they are a pretty good indicator whether you are feeding excess. Feed a little less from now on, and they disappear.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock and Live Sand
Back