Small radial white dots with many arms on glass

Nordy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is at about week 7 cycling. Used dry rock for aqua scape and have a deep sand substrate to accompany a BSJ. Used Red Sea reef mature for the first 21 days, bought clean chaeto for refugium. Probably skipped a preventative measure for hitchhikers, but I have white dots on the glass that have something that looks like mycelium fibers attached around in a radial pattern. Maybe fungi? Reminds me of a snowflake. Any idea what this is and a lead I can use to read up on them?

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is at about week 7 cycling. Used dry rock for aqua scape and have a deep sand substrate to accompany a BSJ. Used Red Sea reef mature for the first 21 days, bought clean chaeto for refugium. Probably skipped a preventative measure for hitchhikers, but I have white dots on the glass that have something that looks like mycelium fibers attached around in a radial pattern. Maybe fungi? Reminds me of a snowflake. Any idea what this is and a lead I can use to read up on them?
Pictures are needed. Are you familiar with aptasia? That would be my first guess

jonyv0992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you're explaining spirorbid worms. They're good filter feeders from my understanding.

OP
OP
Nordy

Nordy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a pic!

Attachments

• IMG_2626.jpeg
    IMG_2626.jpeg
    29.2 KB · Views: 53

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not aptasia or spirorbid worms.
@ISpeakForTheSeas any ideas?
Looks like hydroid medusae of some variety; they're common in newer tanks and typically die off after a while (most need food like copepods, rotifers, brine shrimp, etc. to feed; a few are photosynthetic and may stick around if the lights are on).

Hemmbone20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this thread while researching my similar issue… does this look similar to yours? Took forever to get a good photo, they’re so small…
There’s hundreds in my tank. Really blew up in the past week or so. Any ideas?

IMG_3216.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this thread while researching my similar issue… does this look similar to yours? Took forever to get a good photo, they’re so small…
There’s hundreds in my tank. Really blew up in the past week or so. Any ideas?

IMG_3216.jpeg
Can't say for sure from the pic, but my guess would be hydroid medusae, yeah.

Hemmbone20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't say for sure from the pic, but my guess would be hydroid medusae, yeah.
They’re very hard to get the camera to focus on..
some basic research on these indicates they’ll probably go away on their own eventually? Is that the consensus?

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re very hard to get the camera to focus on..
some basic research on these indicates they’ll probably go away on their own eventually? Is that the consensus?
Yeah, unless they have access to food (like copepods, Artemia nauplii, etc.) or are one of the photosynthetic species, they should disappear soon.

Hemmbone20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, unless they have access to food (like copepods, Artemia nauplii, etc.) or are one of the photosynthetic species, they should disappear soon.
That explains why all my copepods seem to have disappeared… thank you.

You really are the hitchhiker expert!

Peter Houde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like hydroids

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back