Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would share my small mixing station.

Parts:

Hygger 1060 External (budget pump) :
Bulkheads (4):
Float Valve:
Ball Valves (6):
PVC Schedule 40: ~10 feet (3/4") , 2 feet (1")
T-Connectors : 3/4" (10, bought in bulk), only used 3. 3/4", 3/4", 1" (1)
Elbow Connetors: 3/4" (10, bought in bulk), used 6
Slip to Female connector (2): 3/4"
Male to Barb connector (2): 3/4"
Flex Tubing: 3/4"
Universal Pipe Adhesive
Rubbermade Brute 20G garbages

Total build was ~$200

I made one small mistake at the end of the build. I inadvertently connected a slip to male connection instead of female. I ordered a Female to Barbed connector to fix.

PXL_20221210_185757045.jpg PXL_20221210_185827569.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job! One question, why the need to recirculate both barrels? Assuming one is RO/DI, and the other is salt?

Only thing I found that helps, I cut my barrel lids in half. I used a plastic hinge, and plastic screws to attach. Makes opening them up, much easier.

Also, if you extend the pipe into the barrel, with a T and 2 45's, you can get it to cyclone to help mix faster. You also avoid a lot of salt creep that will happen with it just crashing into the top of the water.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
T

taysej

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job! One question, why the need to recirculate both barrels? Assuming one is RO/DI, and the other is salt?

Only thing I found that helps, I cut my barrel lids in half. I used a plastic hinge, and plastic screws to attach. Makes opening them up, much easier.

Also, if you extend the pipe into the barrel, with a T and 2 45's, you can get it to cyclone to help mix faster. You also avoid a lot of salt creep that will happen with it just crashing into the top of the water.

My original design didn't recirculate to both, I made a last second change (had extra parts). I wanted to avoid getting a layer of bio growth or stagnant water on the top of the RO/DI.

I think that is a great tip on the Ts on the inside. I think I will add that modification. Thank you!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only other modification I happen to stumble upon(than you @Bulk Reef Supply !), a 1 micron sediment filter on a recirculating loop(part of the mixing process). It cleans any junk that might be in the salt, and depending on your salt, it keeps the mixing barrels nice and clean. I hate taking my station apart to clean the barrels(even though I put enough unions in it to easily detach each barrel). I haven't cleaned them in a couple years, and they are still sparkling clean.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back