Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so i have a Classic 200INT Reef Octopus and have been using it for over a year. But my issue is i can never find a proper water height for it. I've done the 7-8 inches but it lets to much water in and just produces way to much micro bubbles bc it has to be wide open to not let the cup overflow, I've done 3-4 inches and it work but then randomly overflows and dumps all the dark skimmate back into the sump which then makes it overflow again. I currently have it in 4.5ish in of water and it is working, but it's only been a couple days. My question is where exactly do you want the water in the skimmer to be with the bubbles? I've played around and can never find the sweet spot with the water/air ratio, it's alway more one than the other.

If someone could tell me where the water is supposed to be on an insump skimmer I could figure it out from there and play around with the height of the water. Thanks!

World Wide Corals

JC1977

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally aim for the foam level to be somewhere between the bottom of collection cup and the neck where cup connects to body. I’ve done this regardless of what skimmer model and I normally just raise the water level up for wetter skimmate and lower for drier skimmate. The model you have I would start with it at the black ring where cup connects and start with your water level in sump 8” and see what happens. Just keep in mind skimmers are like my ex wife you can do everything right but they will still just go crazy for no good reason. Lol hope you get it figured out!

YOYOYOReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 4.75 inch skimmer neck is the issue. i would put a reducer in the neck , i bet the skimmate gets much more consistant..

the problem you are having is pretty typical with a needlewheel skimmer hard to adjust compared to a tall venturi or beckett skimmer.

Top Shelf Aquatics

JC1977

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 4.75 inch skimmer neck is the issue. i would put a reducer in the neck , i bet the skimmate gets much more consistant..

the problem you are having is pretty typical with a needlewheel skimmer hard to adjust compared to a tall venturi or beckett skimmer.
That’s why I went Lifereef on my new build!

OP
OP
thesoulpatch

thesoulpatch

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

where would i get a reducer?

YOYOYOReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure if the manufacturer of your skimmer makes one, but i bet you could reduce it down to 3 inches with pvc and it would be better... i tried a few needlewheels when they first came out.. they all had the same issue.. taller is always better than short and wide in skimmers...

Nutramar Foods

YOYOYOReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try your sump about 7 inches and make an X with acrylic to lead the foam up the neck.

i have one of these on a 120 gallon and it works much better than i thought it would for a 30 inch skimmer.

RK2 XFLO 6-3.5​

The X really helps to make a constant foam head.. you could easily make one with some acrylic or maybe cut up a gallon milk jug to build a prototype aand gravity hold it in place

Avast

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that the problem you are having with your skimmer is that it is over sized for your tank.

I will give an example of my tank, I have a 120 gallon DT, 5 large fish, Powder Blue tang, Purple Tang, Harlequin Tusk, Clown Trigger, Copper band Butterfly, yes I know. I have a 225 brand new tank sitting in the garage waiting to get wet.

I pulled my skimmer and I installed my Reef Octopus Regal 200 with a the Various S 4 pump, I was getting maybe 1 finger or two fingers wide of skim mate. After a month I pulled it and I put my Simplicity DC 240 back in, size difference the Simplicity looks like a toy. I was pulling a full cup every 9 hours, go to bed dump it, wake up in the morning dump it, come back from work and dump it.

YOYOYOReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not the skimmer is oversized, its just poorly designed neck is way too wide. i run a mr-c4848 which is their smallest quad beckett and 4 feet tall 10 inch tube rated for 3000 gallons on my 300 gallon reef.. , it keeps a stable foam head up top all the time. Guess what its only 4 inch wide neck... how can a skimmer half the height and probably 1/5 the total water volume support a foam head with the same neck size.? answer is what the op posts about, its not a consistant output of foamm.

the op's skimmer(size) in a lifereef would be like 2-3 inches wide... look how everyone loves lifereef... because Jeff knows how to size the skimmer neck properly so his skimmers work properly and dont need lots of fussing with.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember the Alpha skimmers coming out with a 5 inch neck, they are like driving a dragster in bumper to bumper traffic.
So yes a too of a large neck is a problem. That is why the little Eshoop 120 Cone skimmer was such a good skimmer, small neck.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a LifeReef Skimmer, and you’ll never use anyone else’s Skimmer. Can’t afford one? Keep looking on eBay, Craigslist, Facebook Market Place, and keep in Contact with your local Reef Club for a used one. I’ve used Danner 9.5 Pumps, a Danner 7, ”it’s not supposed to work with this small of a Pump, but does.” On my 120 Gallon I’m using a Simplicity 1000, at a speed setting of Eight. Can’t even remember the last time, I took the pump or skimmer body out to clean it, on my 65 Gallon. Clean the cup every two to four weeks. This depends on what type of skim I’m collecting. If I want a lighter skim, I just raise the water in the sump, rather than adjusting the gate valve.

csund

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try your sump about 7 inches and make an X with acrylic to lead the foam up the neck.

i have one of these on a 120 gallon and it works much better than i thought it would for a 30 inch skimmer.

RK2 XFLO 6-3.5​

The X really helps to make a constant foam head.. you could easily make one with some acrylic or maybe cut up a gallon milk jug to build a prototype aand gravity hold it in place
How do you like the RK2 skimmer?

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Inkbird
Back