Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me start with that the pictures and video are difficult to see exactly what I am talking about. I have done my best to highlight where to look.

Issue: skimmer frequently changes bubble density and only returns to normal when I restart the skimmer. I want to be clear this isn’t when adding food, additives, hands in the tank, and so on the density changes. This is different.

The foam head collapses very slightly, but you can see the clear distinction of the bubble line and foam head form. Normally it is a pure milky white all through the skimmer body and slowly transitions to larger bubbles as they rise.

This situation appears to me that the bubbles stay very small, appear to be tinted lightly darker/grey, hit the level of the red arrow, and it turns back to white, but won’t produce and skimmate for days. The color change is very slight and easier to see in person. I’ve attached a

If I restart the skimmer the color shift and bubble shift goes away and the skimmer will work again for about 6-12 hours.

It looks to me like too much water is climbing up into the neck instead of just bubbles.

63977970-A588-4893-BF08-4763B6B7A540.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics
Top Shelf Aquatics

iamacat

Higher than my pH
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water level is static and airline is clean.
IMG_7038.gif

hmm. I had a similar issue after I moved and decided to adjust the depth in my skimmer area which lead me to adjust my COR settings. I found that sometimes the water level would be slightly elevated as the CoR returned to normal flow, I had dialed it back from 80% to 40% and for some reason it would take 2 hrs to reach equilibrium after feeding.
This resulted in differing foam like you are seeing

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
ReefHunter006

ReefHunter006

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 3127797
hmm. I had a similar issue after I moved and decided to adjust the depth in my skimmer area which lead me to adjust my COR settings. I found that sometimes the water level would be slightly elevated as the CoR returned to normal flow, I had dialed it back from 80% to 40% and for some reason it would take 2 hrs to reach equilibrium after feeding.
This resulted in differing foam like you are seeing
Thanks, I’ll adjust the baffle tonight and see what happens.

iamacat

Higher than my pH
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I’ll adjust the baffle tonight and see what happens.
I only discovered this when my skimlocker filled up one day. I decided to check the level through the day to find this was happening. I had my baffle exactly what it needed to be for my skimmer to ideally perform. To resolve the issue I had to manipulate the return flow. I still don’t understand why the CoR was having issues reaching equilibrium at a lower flow.
Good luck

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It only started last week. I took it apart twice to check the pumps and so on. I may buy a replacement pump but I was really hoping to not have to.
I don’t think the pump is the issue.. have you took the impeller out and washed it real good? Blow an air hose through your airline and Venturi? I’d start there

OP
OP
ReefHunter006

ReefHunter006

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think the pump is the issue.. have you took the impeller out and washed it real good? Blow an air hose through your airline and Venturi? I’d start there
Did a citric acid bath last month.

I’ll give the air hose some air. I have the tube wide open (.25in). Maybe less air might help.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Pacific East
Back