Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello - so i have read a lot of reports that folks see their skimmers go crazy after using frag epoxy - i have not seen that with brand a but i could not find superglue and used some other brand of epoxy to set the frags in - so far i have made > 20 cups of skimmate, it has slowed down but still filling in 10-15 min. (better than 1) - shut the skimmer off overnight, still something in the tank that is getting skimmed - which worries me -
im not using this stuff again and maybe its not toxic - but wanted to ask - just keep skimming /water changing until the skimmer settles ? i will have to turn off while at work

should i run carbon as well to pull out any potential undesirables?

than ks

Top Shelf Aquatics

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimming is removing it, as would GAC, and GAC is worth adding. :)

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon plus a DE filter will help clear up the gunk while unable to monitor the skimmer. Marineland Magnum polishing filter has a small micron cartridge that can also be filled with diatomaceous earth to pick up finer particulates, if needed. I'd start with their polishing cartridge first.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
docforestal

docforestal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks very much @Randy Holmes-Farley and @GARRIGA - there is nothing visible in the water - but must be some organic chemical -
when my sea hare inked , it took carbon and 15 cups of skimmate to clear up and the skimmer to settle, this is more and that worries me with the livestock, but inverts are showing no sign of distress

fodsod

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far great advice from other posters. Add some GAC for sure.

I'd suggest that you might have to pull your skimmer and clean it using citric acid or diluted vinegar. I had to do it myself once when my skimmer wouldn't stop overflowing from a similar event. Cleaning it stopped the issue.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimming is removing it, as would GAC, and GAC is worth adding. :)
Randy,

Is this one of those situations where temporary use of ozone would help resolve the issue? Not being able to man that skimmer or having a vessel to offload the skimmate until later perhaps ozone on a timer would resolve that which is soluble and might not be removed by other mechanical means or is GAC good enough? One concern I've always had with skimmers and the potential overflow while away.

OP
OP
docforestal

docforestal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far great advice from other posters. Add some GAC for sure.

I'd suggest that you might have to pull your skimmer and clean it using citric acid or diluted vinegar. I had to do it myself once when my skimmer wouldn't stop overflowing from a similar event. Cleaning it stopped the issue.
thanks @fodsod good advice, i will plan to clean it well - although i stopped counting how many cups i emptied, it is slowed to normal flow i think, likely the GAC helped quite a bit - should have thought of that prior

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Corals.com
Back