+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for ya'll -

I installed a Reef Octopus s-130 protein skimmer about two weeks ago. My sump water level is at the high end of the recommended range, but still within it. I was told that bubbling over as it broke in was normal, but it's now been long enough that I can see it's skimming yucky things, but it's still dramatically bubbling over. It's bad enough now that the entire sump is starting to smell and there's salt creep EVERYWHERE.

How do I find tune the protein skimmer so it actually skims into the collection cup instead of into my sump? Help me?

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there should b a valve that controls the amount of air that enters the chamber. Turn it down and close it. Slowly open until the mixture is foaming and just braking the neck. See what happens at that level

Upvote 0

panamaed117

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that worked for me. I made a few gallons of fresh salt water. Then ran the skimmer like, let it overflow but drain to a bucket. Did that for 30 minutes. Bubbles calmed down. Whatever I lost and put fresh salt water. Let it it run overnight. Good foam in the morning.

Upvote 0
AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Legendary
Back