Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a tank that I've been having troubles with on and off for years. A small sample of these issues are in my post here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lurker-finally-joined.633395/#post-6295315

My first priority for trying to get stability back is to replace the protein skimmer. My budget is not very big and I currently have no sump (planning to get one down the road) so I've been looking at HOB skimmers, specifically the Reef Octopus BH 90 or BH 1000. I have seen a post somewhere that the BH 90 can be used easily as an in sump skimmer just by removing the inlet pipe so I'm leaning towards that one. What I want to know is what do you think of these models? Which would you prefer? Other options you like better? Also, are there any good places to go to track down quality used gear?

Thanks In Advance!

Top Shelf Aquatics

vangvace

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can find a used Aquamaxx 1.5 it will run a bit better than the RO ones. Otherwise I might lean towards the 90 since you can expand it down the road.

For used equipment... lfs, local reef group, local facebook group, r2r sale forums, or nano-reef.com (for your skimmer in particular) would be my avenues to look.

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tank Stop
Back