Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do most manufacturers include the pump inside the skimmer body? I like the pump outside the skimmer body for ease of disassembly and having a bigger water column for the air bubbles to pass through. But, it seems these days that the best brands and 90% of the skimmers have the pump internally.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do most manufacturers include the pump inside the skimmer body? I like the pump outside the skimmer body for ease of disassembly and having a bigger water column for the air bubbles to pass through. But, it seems these days that the best brands and 90% of the skimmers have the pump internally.
Space saving for internal sump use. External skimmers usually have plumbing and pump is on the outside.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
there are many with internal pumps such as Icecap, deltec, nyos, reef Octo and bubble magnus

AquaCave Logo Banner

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of my reef octopus are on the outside of the body. It's the only brand I've used. I will admit tho I rarely clean them, like maybe once a year at most.
EDIT: one of mine is external the other is an ss model with internal pump

Last edited:

jft

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef octo Classic best in my experience, ease of use and external screw off pump. I tried alot of different skimmers over the years still love and settled on reef octo classic for my tanks.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Pavo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chance are exactly same, unless some internal desigh have some kind of prefilter sponge or something, but then you need to clean that, and pump can overheat if not enough water flow to it etc.
There is more maintence with internal pump designs, because you need to take pump out of body to clean it and such designs are only made to save space, nothing else, and beside more maintence they are actually a less efficent than models with external pump because less contact space inside it.

-Today we have many new kinds of filtration like fleece rollers, compact ats and algae reactors etc, and as well a powerfull but (relatively) small skimmer pumps, so all that contribute to production of smaller and more compact models

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Copepods
Back