+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys

Have a large patch of Sinularia that is turning black (mostly at tips) . Fine yesterday, sickly today. Nothing has changed on the tank for two weeks. Last change was addition of carbon filter 2 weeks ago. Tank parameters are same range as always... Temp 77.5 F, NO3 3.3 ppm, PO4 0.05 ppm, ALK 8.9 dkh, Cal 400 ppm, salinity 34 ppt. Have included two pics, top down view and frontal view. This really took me by suprise. This is widespread and fragging may be problematic. No other softie or coral seems effected .... yet.

Sinularia Black Tips Top View.jpg Sinularia Black Tips Side View.jpg

AquaCave Logo Banner

KING KONG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys

Have a large patch of Sinularia that is turning black (mostly at tips) . Fine yesterday, sickly today. Nothing has changed on the tank for two weeks. Last change was addition of carbon filter 2 weeks ago. Tank parameters are same range as always... Temp 77.5 F, NO3 3.3 ppm, PO4 0.05 ppm, ALK 8.9 dkh, Cal 400 ppm, salinity 34 ppt. Have included two pics, top down view and frontal view. This really took me by suprise. This is widespread and fragging may be problematic. No other softie or coral seems effected .... yet.

View attachment 2960110 View attachment 2960111

Give it a good flow and give it a day or few.The black areas are usually a massive bacterial infection,which if not cleared up will wipe out the whole coral more often than not if strong water flow is not provided to cleanse the tissue.

Give it good strong water flow and if the blackened area is large, cut it off a little ahead of the infection with a clean razor and remove it from the tank.
Source- Internet

OP
OP
J

james.c

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll give that a try. Looks bad if not worse today. Using a baster to blow off black stuff did not accomplish much if anything. Have started making RODI water for water change if/when I start cutting off sections of the coral. Its so wide spread it seems like almost a total loss. Will give it another day or so (as RODI is aging) and re-eval situation.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

KING KONG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll give that a try. Looks bad if not worse today. Using a baster to blow off black stuff did not accomplish much if anything. Have started making RODI water for water change if/when I start cutting off sections of the coral. Its so wide spread it seems like almost a total loss. Will give it another day or so (as RODI is aging) and re-eval situation.
Hope it gets better

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
J

james.c

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a few days since I reported this... Since that time I have discontinued (temp) activated carbon reactor and re-installed a UV steilizer that was in storage. Increased flow to the area, and prep for 30% water change. After two days with no improvement... I pruned off large portions of the coral (see pics below) off and keep a very small stalk on the rock. Performed the water change. Now waiting to see if small stalk survives. This Sinularia was over 10 years old and has given up many frags over the years. (sigh)

Attachments

• Sinularia Stalk Remainder.jpg
    Sinularia Stalk Remainder.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Sinularia Removed.jpg
    Sinularia Removed.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 11

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Chasers Aquaculture
Back