Single siphon drain with high level shutoff on pump. Thoughts?

AI Nero 5

dtruitt

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate our durso return so much. Its unconscienably loud and not very safe.

Thinking about installing a gate valve and pulling the durso bit to turn it into a single siphon drainpipe.

If I put a level switch on the DT that kills power to the return pump, I will have a quieter drain system that is safer than my current system.

I'm curious to know, if the level gets high overnight or while I'm at work, will I need to worry about decimating our chaeto and other critters in the fuge?

lapin

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry so much about the fuge, as I would the main tank with reduced flow , no heat ect...from not having the return pump on.
As you have found out a duriso drain is not silent. It will never be quiet. People have come up with better drains that offer protection against tank overflow. Maybe a herbie can be fitted to your tank?

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry so much about the fuge, as I would the main tank with reduced flow , no heat ect...from not having the return pump on.
As you have found out a duriso drain is not silent. It will never be quiet. People have come up with better drains that offer protection against tank overflow. Maybe a herbie can be fitted to your tank?

The MP 40 in the DT should account for flow and gas exchange.

I've thought about doing a Herbie, I doubt its viable to make those plumbing changes for a number of reasons. Very little space to work with in this system... maybe a pseudo Herbie where both drains are teed together. Gate valve on the main drain and leave the dry emergency drain unrestricted.

AquaCave Logo Banner
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Cultivated Reef
Back