Singapore Angel Change of Behaviour

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm asking out of curiosity, not because I think I have a problem.

I bought this fish a little over two years ago, and despite the reputation of the Singapore as a difficult fish, this one appears to have thrived in spite of all my beginner mistakes. She feeds well, has a good shape, is active, and all in all is just a lovely little fish.

But, for the last few days, she's taken to living in a cave. She still emerges regularly, is amongst the first in the queue at feeding time, and continues to hunt and peck at the rock. Other than a silver belly wrasse added in September (which didn't survive) there has been no change in livestock for well over a year. There's no aggression - if there was I suspect she would be the instigator anyway. Swimming, breathing etc. are all good so far as I can tell.

I just wonder why she's suddenly developed a fondness for this cave (which, incidentally, she shares with a cleaner shrimp).

rawrsean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has the flow, lighting, or temperature changed recently? A few weeks ago, I forgot to plug in the two mp40s running my 220 after some maintenance and my Koran angel actually stopped eating and hid in a dark cave for about 3 days. Everyone else was completely normal. I was baffled.

The temperature rose and the lack of flow bothered him, as it does with most angels. Within 10 minutes of figuring out the mistake, and turning them back on.. he excreted a lot of waste, 60 minutes he was swimming around normally, and even eating.

I don't think your angel is following suit, I just wanted to share my experience in case the flow or temperature did change recently in your system.

OP
OP
Mark Goode

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you've got me thinking; you may be right. Around two weeks ago my Apex crashed in the middle of the night and everything stopped working. Things were off for around 5 hours before I rebooted the wretched thing - only for it to do exactly the same thing the following night. The temp dropped to about 73 degrees, all flow and return pumps, skimmer etc. were off.

Fortunately there were no casualties, but maybe she's still a bit grumpy about it. Thanks for your thoughts, I hadn't made the connection.

rawrsean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you've got me thinking; you may be right. Around two weeks ago my Apex crashed in the middle of the night and everything stopped working. Things were off for around 5 hours before I rebooted the wretched thing - only for it to do exactly the same thing the following night. The temp dropped to about 73 degrees, all flow and return pumps, skimmer etc. were off.

Fortunately there were no casualties, but maybe she's still a bit grumpy about it. Thanks for your thoughts, I hadn't made the connection.
No problem; I certainly hope he improves. Angelfish are funny and picky .. or perhaps, a more applicable adjective would be intelligent.

OP
OP
Mark Goode

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update here, for any who may be interested:

She's kicked the cleaner shrimp out of the cave, and she has started to chase away anything that comes near the entrance, from big foxface to little firefish.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back