Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed my percula checking out my torch and sometimes I’d try to scare it into it. But today as I was watching it, the percula started touching and moving around it. How long does it take them to host?

Attachments

• IMG_0995.MOV
    15.6 MB
Corals.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I noticed my percula checking out my torch and sometimes I’d try to scare it into it. But today as I was watching it, the percula started touching and moving around it. How long does it take them to host?
Torch is the host and clown is the guest. Generally they test the coral as many do get stung leaving black spots known as Hyper-melanization and torch coral pack some of the strongest stings

BRS

Salty Sea Flowers

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
it's not impossible, but it's not very likely. my two clowns decided to host a very colorful moseleya coral that is sitting in the sand bed of my tank (no stings), so they'll likely go for the easiest route, and what doesnt sting them the most.

ive had a clown host a rock flower anem in my tank, too.

AquaCave Logo Banner

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So it’s not likely it will end up happening?
Not something you can convince a coral to accept a fish and vice versa. Its a symbiosis and happens naturally if its going to happen

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns like to hop around and thankfully have settled on a new arch as their home, but their attempts to be hosted by a duncan and a torch almost killed both corals over the course of a few months. I ended up removing the Duncan to another tank, and moving the torch to another part of the tank to save them from Momma clown.

Corals.com
OP
OP
B

babajuju

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's not impossible, but it's not very likely. my two clowns decided to host a very colorful moseleya coral that is sitting in the sand bed of my tank (no stings), so they'll likely go for the easiest route, and what doesnt sting them the most.

ive had a clown host a rock flower anem in my tank, too.
Do rock flower nems need medium light and flow?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t know, I’m only two months in. Now that I know I won’t ever do it again
No worries..

Clown behavior with a host coral is what you would consider aggressive. They will beat the crud out of most LPS until they recede and end up dying.

Anemones are built for the job of hosting clowns.

OP
OP
B

babajuju

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries..

Clown behavior with a host coral is what you would consider aggressive. They will beat the crud out of most LPS until they recede and end up dying.

Anemones are built for the job of hosting clowns.
Guess I’m gonna trade my torch for a nem and redo my rock

AS

Salty Sea Flowers

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Do rock flower nems need medium light and flow?
yes! that's right! rock flower anems dont usually "wander" or "walk around" nearly as much as bubble tips and other anems, and they come in all kinds of different colors, patterns, etc.

if you're looking for a bubble tip though, i actually have one for sale. it's a rainbow bubble tip, about 5" when fully expanded. your clowns will automatically love it! ♡

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t know, I’m only two months in.

I'd gently advise that you don't go for a nem quite yet. Once your parameters are super stable (could be next month, could be 8 months from now), then go for it. I tried a BTA too soon and it went very poorly. You can't rush anything in this hobby without paying a more than monetary price.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
B

babajuju

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd gently advise that you don't go for a nem quite yet. Once your parameters are super stable (could be next month, could be 8 months from now), then go for it. I tried a BTA too soon and it went very poorly. You can't rush anything in this hobby without paying a more than monetary price.
I want a rock flower nem but out of the 4 lfs’s none of them have any. And idk what to do with my torch :( I may keep it till I see a rfa in town and switch them out.

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a rock flower nem but out of the 4 lfs’s none of them have any. And idk what to do with my torch :( I may keep it till I see a rfa in town and switch them out.
I LOVE my RFA garden (I have 6), but my clowns completely ignore them. Get an RFA when your tank is ready and because you like them, not because of the fish. Hopefully, your torch is good! If the clown(s) start bothering it a lot, you can always try moving it to a different spot in the tank. It might not be foolproof, but you have options before getting discouraged!

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aquatic Life TDS Pen Offer
Back